Please Help me Choose Between These Squier Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Squier CV Jazz Bass

77 vote(s)
    65.3%
  2. Squier Standard Jazz Bass

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Fender Mustang Bass

17 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. Squier VM Jaguar SS Bass

15 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and how hoping people could help me choose my next bass. I currently have a 1995 Made in Indonesia Epiphone SG which I like but me and friends are going to be starting to record videos soon and I thought it be a good opportunity to upgrade. But I need help deciding. Here are my options:

1. Squier VM Jaguar Bass SS (used) $200
    2. Squier Standard Jazz Bass (used) $200
    3. Squier CV Jazz Bass (New) $450
    4. Fender Mustang Bass (New) $700

3 and 4 I would be financing because my local store has 0% interest for fender in the month of August.

I guess my question is which would be the best bang for your buck? I tried number 3 and 4 several times and I have to say I like the sound of the CV Jazz but the playability of the mustang. One thing I am wondering to is the sale or trade in value in the future if I want to upgrade again.

I would love you opinions!

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Welcome to TB!

All are decent basses. If it were me, I would choose the Mustang, but only because a JMJ is on my gas list. But if I were you, I would choose a bass than didn't leave me with monthly payments. What is it about the Epiphone that you like/ dislike? What kind of music do you play?

3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I voted standard. I have the PJ standard special, and it's very nice. Also best "bang for the buck" as it's used (cause wasnt the squier jag 200 new?) Fender usually gets the resale vote but that's comparing new to new, you'll be taking a hit on that you wouldn't on a used bass. I'm also not a fan of financing or debt in general.

But resale aside, also think about the project. Even if it's a short term recording project, pick the bass that will sound best and you'll play your best on!

4sight likes this.
  4. Hi, thanks for the reply. Me and my friend like to do acoustic covers and we are just planning to make a youtube channel. We wouldn't be opposed to gigging if it came up. Honestly, my biggest beef with the SG is how it looks. The guitar store that is financing said they would take it for $100 or so depending on condition.

ed morgan likes this.
  5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I went with CV Jazz worth the price and just a tad better quality build and if setup properly...great to play and sounds good too.

I Love the necks personally.

DJ Bebop and RyanOh like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

welcome to TB!

IME:
    looks = 0
    feel = 100

you can change the look and sound of a bass if you are so motivated, but it's a lot harder to make a dramatic change in the 'feel' of the instrument. good luck with your choices! :thumbsup:

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're more comfortable with a shorter like the Mustang?

8. I also prefer a neck that is not glossed as well but I can play both. Maybe that's another point for the Jazz Standard

JRA likes this.
  9. Yes the shorter and smaller frets are more comfortable for me. Especially, with more complicated songs

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Why not remove the Jazz basses from the equation?

11. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    In that case, I change my vote to mustang. The squier ss jags are great basses, but you want an upgrade, right? ;)

4sight likes this.
  12. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Jag, it looks cool and is affordable.
    Rock on.

13. I just didn't see much of a different sound wise from the cv jazz. So I'm thinking why pay 250 more?

14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    But the jazz basses are not short scale.

15. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    I voted Mustang, because you liked the playability of it. I'm sure you can get a sound or two you want out of the P/J configuration if you work on it.

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'd lean towards the Mustang. At some point in your life, you might need a bass with hum cancelling pickups, and that make it (to me) a more versatile instrument than the Jazzes.

The Jaguar would also be OK in this respect, as the neck pickup is hum cancelling.

17. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I voted for the CV Jazz... worth the difference in my opinion.

18. What are hum cancelling pick up?

19. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I have both a SS Jag and a VM Jazz. I highly recommend both. Looking forward to the November release of the new CV models. There’ll probably be a CV Mustang added to my collection at that time.

My point is those are all good choices on your list. Makes it hard to go wrong.

20. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I play in a couple of acoustic trios and I use either my Jack Casady or my Epi EB0. I find the tone works better than my Jazz or my VM Jag.

Another option is the Mustang PJ. I got mine new last week for $379. Yes it’s not the JMJ, but it’s pretty darn good.

It seems like short scale vs. regular scale would be more of an issue to you?

PlatoFunFactory likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021