Please help me choose between these three shortscales!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Keef, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Fender has the P-Bass Junior and the Mustang, and Rondo has their own SX short-scale Jazz.

The 'stang is probably the nicest, is CIJ, and runs about $559. It has a thirty inch scale length.

The P-Junior is MIM, runs about $400, and has a scale length of 29-3/5".

The SX is $109 (!!!) and has a scale length of 30.5".

I'm going to be stringing it up for piccolo. I love the looks of the 'stang, but for that price I'd be tempted to get a Geddy instead (which I don't need, but, you know...). I like the P, but I don't know where I could try one – I would certainly add a tone pot. Then again, the SX series are supposed to be equal or better to an MIM, and geez, look at the price!

I like the two-pickup setup on the SX, and I am a lover of Jazz basses, so...

Has anyone here tried one (or all three)? I'd love to hear some opinions from those who have played these models. I did search the forum many times, which is how I found out a lot about these basses – I'm starting this thread in the hope that some TalkBassers can add some insight about these basses as to how they compare to each other.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

~ Keef

2. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Oh, btw... I know there are lots of other short scales available, but I'm a certified Fender dweeb. I'd like to stick to a Fender-like design.

3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya

When the paypal refund from an ebay scammer gets into my account, I'll pop for a J version.
  4. SX is going to be the best. No doubts there. Fender SS basses can be a little dodgy, in my experience.
  5. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    the fender musicmaster is well respected in this field...i used to have one...wish i never sold it now.
  6. I had a Japanese Mustang, it was cool. Beautiful finish, great attention to detail. I liked it with flatwounds.

I sold it because my Gretsch Broadkaster was taking all my playing time (another great shortscale!).

I didn't like the neck on it though- it was too thin for me.

My advice? - buy the Mustang.
  7. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    If you are serious about it, get the MUSTANG. The SX at about $100 is cheap, and thats just it, CHEAP, in price and quality. Yes, I've had both the SX short scale and the MIJ Mustang with in the past year.
    The MIJ Mustang was a high quality instrument. Beautiful build quality,attention to detail. Don't be put off by the pickups,they're fine. Kind of like a mellow P bass sound.
    The SX was dissapointing. Because of all the hype here,I expected something better. Crooked nut,sharp frets,wavy neck,debris in finish,super cheap parts.
    I don't have either anymore because I like a regular scale P. If you get the SX you will probably be wanting to put another $200 into it to repace the crappy hardware and pickups anyway. And you won't get hardly anymore resale value out of it because its still a cheap SX.
    Heres a link to a great deal.MUSTANG
  8. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I owned and played a Mustang back in '73. It was pretty good for a short-scale.

A female bass student of mine recently got an SX short-scale. I'm impressed with the value. And it's so damned cute!
  9. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Many thanks for the replies, people! It took me a few days to respond due to *@#^*&% computer problems.

I ended up ordering the SX. The low price will let me see how I feel about short scales in general, and piccolo specifically. If it turns out that I enjoy the experiment I'll probably migrate to the Mustang.

~ Keef

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    According to the build and setup quality of my brand new Fender MIA Jazz, I'm afraid to guess the SX overall quality may not be inferior than any Fender.

Sorry, no mean to bash anyone, but just inputting here what I personally experienced...

11. What about a nice used Fender Stu Hamm Urge? One of the older MIA ones with the 3-pickup design can be had dirt cheap on the used market now.
  12. audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    I have the SX jazz short scale

it is great for the money and has a real nice neck
    change out the strings immediately

the Squires are cheap -stay away

the Mustang is nice and a little better build quality
    I've played it in stores and would like to pick one up someday

enjoy the SX and you might want to watch ebay for some Mustang steals down the line

short scales are nice when you don't want to stretch too much. I play my SX all the time and will get around to putting the SD 1.4 lb ers I bought in it