Please help me choose strings for my L-2500!!!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by DDTrend, Mar 17, 2006.

1. DDTrend

Mar 17, 2006
    Hello fellow G&L users! I just joined up to ask this so I hope somebody can help me! :help:

Here's my sob story. I bought this sweet Orange L-2500 off a guy on e-bay. He had it stringed with all 5 strings through the body, but I don't know what type. The strings were alright, but I figured I'd better go get the bass set up since it was shipped a few hundred miles. I took it to the only place in town that sells G&L figuring they would know how to tune one. I told them that I wanted D'addarios and all strings through the body. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed the knucklehead put on DR Hi beams, and that the B was through the bridge, since the winding length wasn't long enough to put it through the body.

Anyways, I've used them for a while and they're ok, but I miss that B through the body (the most important one IMO!) I just bought a set of Ernie Ball Power Slinky, only to find that none of them work through the body!!

I use D'addarios on my guitars, so I think the EXL 160-5 (medium gauge, "long scale") might be right for me. But none of the stores near me stock it, so I'd have to order and don't want to waste my time if they're not going to work. I've seen the photos of some of your basses here (some beauties BTW), and a lot of you have the B through the body so please, what are you using?!?

Hope my post isn't too long and boring. Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

This is what I have heard folks like on the L2k's

DR's...Sunbeams,highbeams, and Lowriders

TA's you I want to hear what everyone likes on TB
  3. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

I hear from others on another G&L forum that you would need "super long scale", as far as d'addario goes:

EXL160SL XL 50-105 Super Long Scale

I still haven't found my dream set for my L-2500 yet but currently I use Ken Smith Tapercore Bass Burners which are Nickel Plated Steel. My B string is strung through the body. I think the other strings would probably fit as well but I chose not to string them through the body to keep the tension lower. All Ken smith tapercores (possibly his other strings too) have a 38" winding so they fit through the body pretty well (and sound pretty great!) so you may want to try them.
  4. I've just ordered a set of Extra Long Scale Elixirs, not sure if they'll make it through the body yet though... I've never tried them before but found a deal on them that was too good to pass up
  5. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ernie Ball.....
    Thats all I use on my basses. They are good n cheap.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like either DA exl170 nickel rounds, or SIT nickel rounds...
  7. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    DR's should fit through the body on all strings - those are the only strings I've ever used on my L2500. FYI - D'addario does make 5 strings sets that will fit - they're "Super Long" scale and are about $1 more than a regular set. I sell them at my store specifically for L2500's but any D'addario dealer should be able to get them for you.
  8. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have D'Addario Pro Steels on my T-40 (strung thru body). "Extremely" bright strings though.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Which Dr's do you like the best?
  10. F1Filter

Feb 9, 2005
    SF, CA
    DR Low Riders Stainless Steel (.130 B) thru-body on mine. I went with the heavier gauge because it's in a drop-A tuning. They feel very consistent from string to string. They're a bit stiffer than their Hi Beams (hex core -vs- round core).
  11. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I use DR Hi Beams in a 45-130 set on my L2500.
  12. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I use Long Scale Rotos. The red felt goes slightly over the nut but it doesn't bother me one little bit. They are the only brand that is long enough to string through the body.

Or you can order SIT strings model # SIT_NR545125XL. They are specifically cut to fit L2500s. Do an internet search for a website called JustStrings and you can order a pair.
  13. DDTrend

Mar 17, 2006
    Thanks for your responses guys. I ended up going with Ken Smith Rock Masters and so far I'm pretty impressed. I might try the Bass Burners (nickel) next time. You would indeed need the super long scale for D'addario. Apparently The L2500s come from the factory strung with SITs, probably the same that sdguyman mentions above.

14. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I prefer DA XL-170s over Ken Smith Bass Burners, SIT Nickels, EB Nickels, and DR SS Low Riders. The 170s pop goes well with the aggressive nature of the MFDs. And they age nicely. I tried 165s and thought the thicker E and A were boomier in a bad way.

If you want a vintage vibe TI flats are the sheeeet too.

15. I use DR High Beams strung through the body. I like Lo-Riders too, but for what I do, I prefer the sound of the High Beams.
  16. G&L puts SIT Powerwounds on the Tribute Basses and IMO they sound great, so I also do.
  17. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, I have an L-2500 fretless on order. I currently have powerbass strings on my L2K fretless and was wondering if any of you know if these strings will string through the body on an L2.5K.

If they don't, what would you recommend as a powerbass (nickle rounds) subsitute that will string through the body?

I really like the relatively high tension of the powerbass strings, and love the sound.

P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread, but I figured the question was relevant to the topic at hand.
  18. Put the Elixirs I mentioned earlier on the other week, they're pretty sweet! Plenty of growl and they got through the body with ease.
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For the fretless, you're gonna want SIT Powerflats.

20. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm... I'm not a real fan of flats for the style I play. I have flats on one of my fretless', but it doesn't get much playing time. I really like the nickel rounds.