1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me choose: Used G&L SB2 or new Tribute L2000

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by goolimari, Jun 19, 2007.

1. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    Hello,

Been lurking for a while here..this is my first post! i have finally decided on buying a G&L bass (will be my first 'real' bass. have been working on a cheap Fullerton for the past one month)

I have an offer for a used made in USA G&L SB2 for around $550..I am wondering if this is a good deal, or shoul di gor for a Tribute Premium L2000, brand new which costs just about the same..

any suggestions will be helpful!

thanks

arvind

2. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Either one is a nice bass. That being said; the SB-2 is a better deal (assuming it's in good condition).

It really depends on personal taste and the kind of music you play.

3. the tribute has the bonus of having the option of going active. i also think the pickup configuration is more useable. the sb-2 bridge pickup is not so hot... it's better when used in varying degrees with the front pickup.

but the usa sb-2 will have better fretwork and hardware. and that front pickup is sooooo ballsy.

but the tribute pickups are usa mfd's which are sooooo ballsy.

play them both. see which one you like better.

4. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I own a L2k USA. I do not know much about the Tributes but everyone agrees that they are worth their money. If I was going to buy a bass tomorrow, I would buy an SB2. I'm just hot for one now. Used? Well, as its been said, depending on the condition. Is it playable? Does it sound solid? Cosmetics? What options does it have? Sounds like 550.00 is a good deal to me. Either way, if you are any thing like me, you will always wonder if the one you don't buy would have been better.

Good Luck.

5. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I would get the SB-2. While I have never played one, or a tribute either for that matter, I would always get the USA instrument which will be better build quality and have better resale value later. Same goes when talking about Fender, or Lakland. The only overseas budget model bass that compares to it USA cousin is the Sadowsky Metro basses, IMHO. I am sure that many will disagree but I place a high premium on knowing that my bass was handmade with love by people G&L have employed and trusted for years!!!

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I prefer my SB-2 to my standard L2k neck. Fretwork is flawless on the USA models (on mine anyway). Tributes may vary a bit more.

Out of all my G&Ls my SB-2 is still my baby. It is an honest bass.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021