Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help me choose

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by FractalUniverse, Feb 9, 2005.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Hello, my bass teacher wants to change strings on his bass, the problem is that strings are very expensive here, that's why to try different strings is really difficult sometimes, cause there is the chance that you put strings that doens't work for you at the end, but you have to stick with them beause you can't afford new strings.

so between these strings:
    Jargar, Corelli, Pirastro, d'addario, thomastik

wich ones are better suited for:
    lots of arco playing -----> think big orchestal sound
    and a good pizzicato ----> strings that doesn't get muddier with just a few weeks of playing.

(versatile strings is the key word i think)

thanks

2. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    well i'm gathering the info for my teacher

he plays 80 % arco
    (orchestal and solo playing)

the thing is that in that 20 % he wants a good sound too.
    (that 20% is from tango to salsa and cuban oriented groups and even jazz)

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Considering he'll be playing mostly arco, and that for the remaining 20%, he'd rather have a thumpier kind of tone (salsa and cuban music), I think he should stick with good orchestral strings.
    He'll probably want to avoid synthetic core strings too, because their life span is much shorter than steel.
    I'm thinking of:
    Pirastro Flexocors (warm tone)
    Pirastro Permanents (brighter but full tone)
    Kolstein Varicors (loud orchestral string with good articulation and clarity, well suitable for pizz)

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Please tell us the exact Bass he is using and what sound or bow/pizz it has with a particular String.

Without this information, we are all shooting in the dark.

You can also try and get slightly used strings from people to see what works for the Bass he has but tell us more will help get more accurate amswers.

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    well, he doesn't have a great double bass, but it's better than the average student bass... it is a 3/4 hybrid bass. It has a moderate volume and warm sound.

in this moment he has solo strings on it, don't know wich ones are, but i'm gonna ask... the strings are very old by the way, but they still have an acceptable response.

thanks.