Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me date my Tobias

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by inazone, Mar 25, 2005.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have two tobias 6 strings and one of them Im not sure about. The # is 2730. My thought was that this bass was a killer B and USA made right after the gibson buyout, but Im not sure. Its a bolt on 6 string, 5 piece neck, lacewood body. Thanks for the help.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wine, slow music, and candles.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You beat me to it.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I must be slow tonight, I dont get it. :confused:

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Damn, beaten to the punch. :(

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Standard TB joke about "dating."

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    They are telling you how to go on a date with your Tobias. Yes, it is childish.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    booo :eyebrow:

what do you call a fly that cant fly........

a walk......

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It was made in Nashville, well after the Gibson buyout.

The parent company of Gibson bought Tobias in 1990, and I think that the last pre Gibson s/n was 1097, or therabouts.

Mr. Tobias and his crew were still affiliated and built the instruments for a while after that. The last s/n produced in that shop was 2044 IIRC.

After that, the production was moved to Nashville, and the folks who built the original Tobias line were no longer involved.

10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Don't forget the Barry White specifically, and the candles should be scented but this isn't utterly necessary.

11. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    After several attempts to move the business to larger, better equipped facilities, I sold Tobias Guitars to Gibson on 1/1/90. The first Tobias Gibson serial number was 1094. At that point, Gibson was instrumental in moving us to a bigger shop in Burbank and setting us up with a great spray booth and dust collection system. We finally met So Cal safety codes. Basses built during 1990-1992 era were built initially by the same crew that had helped establish Tobias Basses as one of the most sought after basses on the planet. We added several people during 1990 and ended up with a great 10-man shop.

Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 "Model T" basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England, and then we got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the "Standard" bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the $/yen ratio killed the project. There were about 400 Standards.

Late in 1992, it was decided that in the best corporate interests, Tobias would move to Nashville. After much deliberation, no one from the original Tobias Guitars crew went to Nashville. The final LA Tobias/Gibson serial number is 2044. Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias, all of the basses made up to 2044 were built by the my regular crew. The first production from Tobias/Nashville consisted of about 60 basses that were not numbered or finished by this crew.

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    cool,
    thanks for your help.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Mike is actually starting to recognizing about 40 "blanks" as he calls them, that for all purposes, were completed in LA, they were just stamped in Nashville. Mike says the first shipment out of Nashville were basses that he and his LA crew built. I actually owned one of those blanks, and judging by he purchase date, Mike was able to determine that the bass was either just stamped there or just had minor work done there before being shipped out. For a long time, Mike wouldn't work on any bass after 2044, but I have heard that he's starting to work on some of those blanks as well now.