1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me date this Squier P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougjwray, Feb 1, 2017.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I hope the attached pic is visible.
    I just picked up a Korean Squier II P-Bass, serial # E983564. Maple fingerboard, lightweight tuners.
    Among the many online resources I've seen, none seem to address its particular combination of attributes... but my guess is that it was produced in 1989.
    Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How about dinner and a movie?

Heyooo!

I'm sorry.

knumbskull and Mike N like this.
  3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Now, where did I leave my gunpowder, diamonds and hollow logs... hmmm...

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Anyone?
    Honestly, I've done my research but can't find good info.

5. CMPANDABASS

CMPANDABASS The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    it's a 1989

Lownote38 likes this.
  6. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    E9 would be Eighty 9 or very early 1990.
    Squier II is the old name for Affinity.
    If the specs don't match stuff you've seen it's probably been modded in the intervening 28 years.
    More details on the odd specs would be helpful to tell you what it is and when, etc.
    All that can be determined from photo is the headstock is from a 1989 Squier II (and likely the tuners as that's what they looked like).
    Given the bolt together nature of Fender type instruments EVERYTHING else may be non-original including the body.

Lownote38 likes this.
  7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.
    The inconsistencies really all had to do with the headstock-- I hadn't seen that range of numbers WITH those tuners WITH the "Fender" logo in that position.
    My guess is that the bass is stock. I won it on eBay, and it was sold by a Goodwill in Seattle. When I got it ($115 with case, plus shipping), it was a punk rocker's machine: it was covered with stickers; the strap buttons were missing and replaced by naked wood screws protruding about 3" from the body; a height adjustment screw on a bridge saddle was missing and replaced by a penny wedged underneath; one knob was missing; the washer holding the jack in place over the pickguard was the wrong size, so that the jack kept falling into the body; the pickguard screws were rusted to death and had to be drilled out before I could remove the pickguard; the action was ridiculously high; and one string was missing!
    I cleaned it up (leaving a couple of stickers for sentimental value), repaired the structural damage and brought it to my tech who replaced all of the electronics except the pickups and set it up. Some fret leveling was necessary, too.
    So, my sense is that this bass was bought off the shelf and beaten into the ground without anything else being done to it.
    The neck is nice -- it's chunkier than current Squiers -- and the pickups are actually very loud and fat. The bass is fairly light, too. I haven't checked to see whether it's plywood or solid alder (I'm realistic about that, though). I've attached a "before" pic.
    I'm getting to be a real "funky old cheap basses" fan.
    Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

TDR1138 likes this.