1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help me decide between two basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Schpector, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Schpector

Schpector

Jan 31, 2012
    Macon, GA
    Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well.:bassist:

I am currently planning on purchasing a relatively inexpensive secondary bass for our sets that are in alternate tunings. I have narrowed it down to two basses and would like input on which would be more appropriate for the tone I am seeking and the genre I play.

The two basses I am trying to decide between are the Epiphone Thunderbird IV and the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Unfortunately, I live nowhere near a music store and cannot demo them. Also, I have watched countless video reviews on Youtube of each bass and still cannot decide. Thus, I seek your advice.

I will be using this bass to perform hard rock and 90s alternative. The bass will be used with Hartke and Ampeg heads through a 90s Peavey TVX412 cab.

I am seeking an aggressive, growly, dark, deep tone. I favor a bass with naturally present low mids. I am going for a heavy, "clunky" rock and roll kind of sound.

I am in a band that plays originals and covers Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Ozzy Osbourne, and the like.

I am aware with proper EQ and such I could achieve this tone with either bass - I am just interested to know if one will naturally do better than the other.

I look forward to reading your input, thanks in advance!

2. Honorac

Honorac

Jul 20, 2012
    I can't speak for the Thunderbird, but I just picked up a Squire VMJ...after a proper setup, this bass kills. It's got a decent tonal range, definitely aggressive and snarly as a jazz should be. Sounds and feels like a much more expensive bass than what it actually is. Good luck!

3. bassman700

bassman700

Nov 6, 2011
    I say the thunderbird for what you are playing. I used to have one, thinking about getting another.

4. Having bought a thunderbird and trading it for the VM jazz, I would 100% recommend the bird for what you've described. Both are great basses and bang for your buck, though.

5. Definitely the bird for what you're doing, both are good basses though.

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I've heavily modded my VMJ to let it kill under our downtuned thrash metal repertoire

That's why (and especially with alternate tuning purposes) I suggest you the Thunderbird IV Pro: in the sunburst finish is as classy as it can possibly be, but 2 band active circuitry and Gotoh bridge can better serve your downtuning.

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. I would recommend the Thunderbird, and even the IV standard. I own 2 of these, and they always delivers the sound i want. The deep growl of the "Bird" are awesome.

8. For your stuff, the TBird. Jazz Basses are mid range punchy and tonally flexible but they won't give you that low end heavy "thunder" you're after. I'm not a fan of Gibson Basses for my style of playing but for what your after that's the direction you should go.

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I like JB's but from what you describe in what you want in tone I'd say the Epi. JB's have a low mid bump by nature and if you read up on the history of the JB, they were made to be less dark and more midrangy than let's say a P-Bass. They were made to compete with RICs, and to try and convice upright players to play JB's if they were going to play electric.

10. M.Mannix3

M.Mannix3

Jun 12, 2010
    I have a VM Jazz and have made peace with the fact that it's best served as a funk machine. You would probably have to install a series / parallel switch plus a bunch of eqing to get it dark enough for what you want to play. I think the jazz could do it, but you could make the bird do it much more easily.

Ps: watch the neck dive. get a wide suede strap and hope for the best

11. Definately go for the T-bird. It will give you that dark growly sound you are after for sure. Not as versitile a bass as the jazz, but it fits the bill and then some for a great rock bass. The action on these are great as well. The neck is sort of thick, but you can get the action pretty low on them without buzzing the frets. Throw on a set of roundwounds (ROTOSOUNDS) and you are on to a great bass sound. ENJOY

12. Schpector

Schpector

Jan 31, 2012
    Macon, GA
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input. I was kind of leaning toward the T-Bird, but I feel that an informed decision is the best decision an individual can make.

I appreciate it