1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Please help me decide! Chowny, semi hollows and Hagstrom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DjangoD, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Chowny CHB-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chowny CHB-2

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Ibanez Artcore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hagstrom Viking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DjangoD

DjangoD

Feb 7, 2021
    So I've finally decided to take the plunge on a new bass. I'm pretty much decided on the kind of bass I want, but thanks to lockdown, unable to try any of them out, so in need of some help!

I'm really looking for something jazzy that almost approaches that double bass sound but still want some flexibility. Kind of akin to this

After looking for some time and checking out some reviews I'm torn between the Chowny CHB-1, CHB-2 and the Hagstrom Viking. The Ibanez Artcore is in there too. I currently play an Ibanez EDB 600, so I'm used to 34" scale, though I'm willing to play short-scale if it gets me closer to the jazzy sound I want.

I'm in the UK, so all of them are easily available and I'm willing to spend up to £800 (despite most of these being around £500).

I had decided on the Hagstrom due to the wealth of features, but browsing these forums I've seen reports of the build quality being fairly shoddy for the price.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

hypercarrots likes this.
  2. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    I would look into the Guild Starfire II. Outstanding build quality and the BiSonic pickups are awesome.

Brookmichael likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021