Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me decide!!! Ibanez BTB405 vs. Spector NS2000 Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 70hemicuda, Dec 31, 2003.

1. I've been bass shopping these past 2 days and its come down to 2 basses and I just can't seem to make up my mind on them. They are an Ibanez BTB405QM and a Spector NS2000 Q5. The Ibanez would cost me $599 and the Spector is like $560. I figured I would seek help here rather than flipping a coin. I've sat and played both for a bit and both play awesome (better than my MIM Jazz.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

'Cuda

2. I think....................... you should have posted this in "Basses" ;)
    No one can really tell you what bass you'll like, as we all have different tastes here. (part of what makes TB such a cool, interesting place) If you get replies to this thread,it will be other's opinions on which bass THEY would pick. Only you know what you want. If you still can't decide which though, I'd say pick the Spector, purely for the fact that you save 40 dollars!:D

3. Thanks for the reply Leinad. I couldn't remember where all the "Help me decide" threads went so I just posted it here. I'm leaning towards the Ibanez unless the Spector has something to say the next time I play it :D

'Cuda

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fixed the title and moved to Basses.

5. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Maybe I can help due to having a MIM jazz and then going to a BTB400qm. I love this bass the EQ makes a world of great tones and the 18v preamp cut thru well.I also was stuck with trying spectors before i got the BTB and thought that they both play well but the IBZ has better features for the buck.I dont remember but the Spectors neck was kinda weird and one piece v.s. the Ibz cool offset and 5 piece design.I also love the mono bridge.Parker has them on the new fly bass and that sucker runs for 3 grand.A dude in my area plays a 6 string BTB and is a good teacher and tech. He set mine up and said in 4 years with his BTB he has had no problems and gigs out and records with it alot. Its Basswood but i like the weight and tone i get. Spector is good but to me the BTB rules over it.:bassist:

6. I think it depends on what you are going to be playing and what sound you are going for. The BTB is more mellow and smooth and the Spector is hi fi modern and crunchy. I bought a spector Q5 last week and I love the sound I get out of it, but that's my personal preference. The only thing that the BTB has over the Spector is a Mid control and Mid Frequency control. But it all comes down to what you want.

7. thanks embellisher. I'll probably end up goin and playin em both again this weekend if i decide to get out and about. I'm still kinda leaning towards the Ibanez but who knows... It'll come down to the day when i go in to buy one. Thanks for the replies guys.

'Cuda

8. Be sure to list which one you get, just curious. I've got 2 Spector basses and can tell you from my experience that dealing with Stuart Spector has been an absolute pleasure. One of them is a one-off 5-string he made for my wife that uses Lightwave pickups, the other is an older 4-string made overseas. Set up right they both play like a dream.

I've played many Ibanez basses at the NAMM shows and adore the Gary Willis model but have never owned one.

It does come down to what feels 'right' in your hands, not who plays what or anything that anyone else says about either bass. You'll know which one to get when the time comes.

Peace,
    John Ross

9. i don't know if y'all care or not, but i figure i would let you know tomorrow should (hopefully) be the day i buy a new bass. it should come down between the two ive listed on here but who knows what they've got that might interest me. if i get one, as soon as i can set it down long enough to get pics i will. thanks for all the help guys.

'Cuda