Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help me decide

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ok ive been playing a crappy hondo bass for the last year and a half now and am alright but the hondo is driving me mad, the pickups come away from their casing causing the saing to come out and hit the strings, the neck is warped, it weighs a tonne, its sounds **** and the action is crazilly high because of the warped neck.
    So now my predicament i am getting a new bass and thats for definite i thought i had decided for definite on getting a fernandes gravity 4 but then yesterday i saw a silvertone . now i dont know what to get this is as much as i can spend this year as i also want to get a new amp so i can hear this bass. i plan on getting a jazz bass or something like that kind of money next year so im not lookin for the worlds best bass just something that will get me through the next year of playing and that will do after that as a back-up bass. i need your help what should i get the Silvertone or the Fernandes. my brain is telling me to get the fernandes but my eyes say get the silvertone.
    just as a side not i play everything from thrash metal to pop rock so i want a general bass nothing thats great for one genre but **** for another. so what should i get.

2. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Why not try out a MIM P or J bass? They are in the same price range. Decent quality, versitle and should serve your needs very well.

3. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ive looked a little more and found a olp spector it looks really good and has good reviews on harmony central , is it any good in your opinion?

4. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    not the same as spector but a good copy for the price! not a bad deal!! :bassist:

5. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    My experience is limited, though I have played Spector's in the store and like them. I will say that others who's opinion I respect do like Spectors, and think more of their entry-level basses compared to others in that price range. So if the guitar feels right to you, you're probably on to a good thing.

Personally, I'm on to a Godin "Freeway" bass, also in that price range. Made in Canada and the US and a very well made guitar (though not very flashy). Check them out if you can.

John

6. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    thanks for the advice, im takin all this into account and i'm not rushing into any decisions like i did last time.