1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me diagnose this problem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jasonger, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Jasonger

Jasonger

May 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Hi all! I have a Ashdown ABM C110-300 combo. Its probably about 5-6 years old. I haven't played with it in about 6months or longer. So, I decided to put it up on evilbay. Before I did that I wanted to make sure everything was still c working properly. So I plugged in my Spector and started playing. Two things surfaced: 1- when I play the bass and adjust the drive knob or push in the eq selector it sounds scratchy. But when the bass is not playing they are perfectly quite. Do the pots need cleaned? 2- the amp sounded as I remembered but every once in awhile the sound would get really trebly and then it would go away. Occasionally there would be some clicking/scratching noises (I've heard it before but always just thought it was a combination of my stingray and poor technique). Do I have a blown speaker or is there something I can fix? Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Jason

2. Jasonger

Jasonger

May 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I've actually partially diagnosed the problem. I plugged the amp into my Aguilar cabs and the noises are still there thus eliminating the speaker in the combo as a possible cause. What could be making these noises? Thanks!
    Jason

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds like it needs a good cleaning.
    Buy a can of compressed air and blow out all the pots and switches inside

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Get some contact cleaner as well and clean all the pots and contact points.

5. When an amplifier has not been used for a while it can get a little damp and dusty. As the good Murphy says you can try giving the pots a blast of air and rotating them to shake off the wipers. If this doesn't help, give them a shot of contact cleaner working the controls through their travel. You have to do this from inside the amplifier. UNplug the amp and let it stand for a few hours to let the caps drain their charge before you attempt this.

Paul

6. Jasonger

Jasonger

May 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll buy some air and contact cleaner today!!
    Jason

7. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    contact cleaner as in contact lenses cleaner ? Thats what he needs right? Because my bass is getting a bit scratchy as well. How would i clean with the contact cleaner?just pour it on and wait till it dries?

8. Jasonger

Jasonger

May 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    That would be electrical contact cleaner. Comes in an aerosol can.

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    :meh: :D :p :bawl: :hyper: :bag: :atoz:

10. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    haha no joke intended there, i was pretty serious.