Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help me figure out whats wrong with my rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lessthancool, Aug 13, 2002.

1. yesterday i went out and finally bought my cab....an ampeg 6x10...brand new...for an amp i use an ampeg svp-pro pre, and a carvin dcm600 for power...

anyway, i am running the amp bridged into the cab using a banana to speakon...and yesterday when we were jamming, it started farting out...i dont even have the eq's boosted that much....i played a 4 string with passive pickups, and an ibanez 5 string with two active emg's, and it farted out on both of them....particularly when i fretted between the 4th and 6th frets on the 4th string....(?)....

i am confused as to why this would be happening....i have trouble believing that my brand new cabinet can't handle the lows...it seems as if my old setup could handle it all a lot better (a hartke 3500 and a cheap crate 2x15)

also, i am running the power amp turned up all the way for full head room...i have the gain on the pre set so that the limiter light barely flashes...

i just want to know what could be the problem, and how i would go about fixing it...thanks

:confused:

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    It maybe that you are not getting enough wattage from you power amp to push the cabinet. I had a similar problem with a Samson power amp. It was rated at 700watts bridged. I hooked it up to my Epifani 4x10 rated at 800watts and when I turned it up...it started to clip. I'm sorry to tell you that if you need to be that loud you might want to try an amp with more watts. Sounds like your amp just cant handle it. I solved my problem with a Crest LT1000.

http://www.crestaudio.com/html/lt1000specs.html

It cost only $200 more than the carvin you have. Sometimes you can find one used for about the same price as that amp of yours.

3. that seems so weird though...

the reason i bought the ampgeg 6x10 is because i played out of it at a show once with my hartke 3500, and it sounded amazing...

the hartke only put out 350 watts, and now i'm putting out 600...

what's the deal?

4. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmm. That is strange. Carvin makes crappy amps? I don't know. That shouldn't be happening. You should call the Tech guys at carvin and see what they say. Or get a different amp. It's a bummer but sometimes you have to.

5. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    one more thing
    have you checked the cabinet with a different power source? Also are you sure that the positive and negative side of the bannana jack are on the right sides.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Be sure that your bridged connection is correct. On my power amp, it wasn't just a matter of setting the "bridged" switch, I also had to connect the banana connectors to BOTH POSITIVE poles on the amp, one for channel one and one for channel two, with no connections to the negative posts.

Check your owners manual to be certain, since some of them an be unique.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    lessthancool
    you have mail

steve

8. I second Eric's suggestion about polarity and bridging. Make sure the switch is in the right position, nothing is going into channel 2, and channel 2's gain is down all the way. The hot banna plug goes into channel 1's hot jack.

It's easy to mess up polarity with banana plugs.

9. ???

i dont understand....

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i sent you an e-mail

steve

11. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Maybe you turn the volume down and play as you turn it up i have heard about amps farting when turned up too loud, as in more than capicity. Also maybe put gain to 1/2 way.

Just a thought. Good luck.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    just played 2 outdoor gigs this weekend with my B4r bridged (1000 watts) into my 610hlf turned up to about 70% volume. Not a fart anytime. Nothing but clean Ampeg tone. I'd check the way you have your amp set up. cables etc.... If you have to crank your power amp all the way up and your pre amp gain up until the red light comes on, I would think you need a more powerful amp.

13. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Or a better power amp. If you can't crank your amp all the way up, it's time for a new one.