1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me find a 4PDT on/on/on mini switch.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mmbongo, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Looking for one to mod a G&L for single coil switching. It must be a MINI switch (so no DiMarzio).

I may just end up doing this with 2 2PDT switches, one for each pickup if I can't find one.

Allparts shows one:
    http://www.allparts.com/4-Pole-On-On-On-4PDT-Mini-Switch-p/ep-4363-010.htm

That's what I need, but they said it will be a month if they even get them in at all.

2. What you are looking for is called a DP3T.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Except he is looking for one switch that will control coil switching for two seperate dual-coil pickups at once, so he needs a switch with two seperate 6-connection switches. I'm not sure what the correct terminology for that sort of switch would be- maybe 4P3T? But they are usually advertised as 4PDT On/On/On switches- just look for 12 (3x4) solder connections. When I did that mod, I found mine on Ebay, but I think the economy has pretty much flushed alot of the smaller electronics parts companies down the toilet and made the larger distributers and manufacturers narrow their focus quite a bit (so you now need to backorder most anything out of the ordinary). There are versions available via Digikey and Mouser as well, but I think they are also back-ordered...

I've since gone to seperate switches and volumes for each pickup and much prefer the versatility that offers (and you can get rid of the pickup selector switch). DP3T On/On/On Mini switches are much easier to come by too (also usually advertised as DPDT On/On/On).

There are versions available via Digikey and Mouser as well, but I think they are also back-ordered...

4. Nope, it's called a DP3T switch.

The switch itself IS a 4PDT On-On-On, but they are commonly wired with two external jumper wires to reconfigure the switching to DP3T.

Here is a graphic representation:
    4172092131_435bdf9d20_o.

As you can see, the red connections are external jumpers, to make a DP3T switch. Remove these, and you have a 4PDT On-On-On switch.

PawleeP likes this.
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    How many circuits (individual connections) are you switching? If 4 you need a 4Pxx switch. If 3, you need a 3Pxx switch. See the other thread for a more detailed explanation.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's two pickups. The diagram calls for 1 4PDT switch, or two DPDT switches (one for each pickup). I'm leaning towards just doing one for each pickup.

7. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah- I see now. Clever- I was trying to understand how the "3T" could even be a reality with a DT design. I've only ever seen DP3T used to describe double pole switches with On/On/On capabilities, and never to describe a 4 pole switch. Either way, he still NEEDS to buy a 4PDT... the modification he is referring to doesn't call for the jumpers on your diagram, but it would still function the same- the only change would be that the hot from the non-active coil in the single coil mode would be grounded in yours vs. left floating in the other version.

8. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I say do it! You could either do dual volumes as I did or ditch the preamp (which I also did) to free up a switch space. If you ditched both the pre and the pickup selector switch, you would already have the two On/On/On switches you would need! If you dig the preamp (I didn't- and only use a Sadowsky outboard when I want a preamp), then the 2 volumes adds a lot more versatility.

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    The standard place to get weird switches (and pots) is either Digikey.com or Mouser.com.

Example;
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=4pdt+on-on+toggle+switch

Note the 4 pole switches come in on-on also sometimes listed as on-none-on ( a standard two position this or that switch with 4 poles) also on-off-on which is like the the one above where there are three positions and the center one turns everything off. And finally there are the on-on-on which are the this, that or both switches. Also called (and can be wired as DP3T)

Note that searching these sites is less than optimum with gigantic switches mixed in with the smaller ones and sometimes certain brands aren't in stock. Just root around until you find something. One of these places usually has something in stock.

Good luck!

Comment: I own a G&L that I installed the single coil mod on. You should be aware that because those MM pickups use a single magnet they don't entirely go into single coil mode. There is a bit of feed-through from the "off" coil. Still I love the improvement in purity of tone you get. What you want is the "outside" coils (the coil closest the bridge and the one closest the neck).

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder- does your G&L happen to have the .1uf capacitors installed on the series connection? I don't think the magnet alone should provide a signal without a hot and ground connected...

11. What I mean is the 4PDT On/On/On switch he needs is referred to as a DP3T. When you go to search for it, that is the term to use.

12. This is pretty much identical to what I did with mine. I highly recommend it as it opens up some major versatility by allowing independent control over each pickup - and the ability to blend between the 2.