1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Help me find a Bass Player article on Roger Sadowsky Mobile Repair on a Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by droskobass, Jan 21, 2013.

1. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Hi Talkbass,

I remember reading a step by step article in Bass Player magazine (this could have been in the 90's) about a Repair that Roger Sadowsky did in the back of his van in front of a recording studio.

I was to repair a "flip" in a Pre CBS Fender precision. he removed the top frets, re-planed the finger board and refretted all while preserving the original clay dots.

My AVRI '62 Jazz now needs a similar repair, Does anyone know what Year/ issue that was from?

I've spent three hours googling and searching for links or versions on the article online. Can anyone scan and post a version?

I know the topic has been well covered in other threads but none on this specific article which may be of value to myself and others in the long run.

Thanks guys!

2. 123321

123321 Am Comfortably Dumb...

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    I remember the article... I believe the work was performed on Will Lee's bass but I'm not sure if Will was on the cover in that issue... He may have been...

3. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    ok we're on the scent!

4. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    I also remember this article about Sadowsky. Tonight I'll take some time to find it in my BP archive.

5. I remember the article as well but don't think it was roger that did the repair. I vaguely remember the guy having tools set up in his van to do mobile work.

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Generally, refretting and minor resurfacing of a fingerboard are done with hand tools. You don't need a whole workshop or any big machinery. I think any of us could repair a lumpy fingerboard in the back of a van or backstage or in a hotel room, if necessary.

Was there some specific technique or trick that you were looking for information about?

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I remember the article, it was on some bass of Uncle Will's that had a flip in in the neck. I'm 98% sure it was a piece about Bobby Pieper, who indeed had a mobile luthier business a while back. He was based in the NYC/Tri-State area and did work like that for all the notable players in that locale. As the once-busy NYC studio scene slowed down, the demand for that type of service probably went with it. Last time I heard his name, Bobby had opened up a retail store and repair shop in New Haven, CT called Amity Music or One Flight Up Guitars.

I can't find the article, myself. It actually may have been in an issue of Guitar World. FWIW, any experienced luthier can do this job, and probably has done plenty in his/her career, as it's a common problem found in older Fenders.

Sadowsky necks are made in a way that will prevent a flip from occurring 20 years down the road. They're the only builder I know of that does this.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep. For easier searching he normally goes by Bob Pieper.

He owns a music store in CT now, you can call him and ask about the article if you want. It used to be up right on the old store website, but it's no longer.

I'm not positive that he's still in business though. Every time I went to the store they were trying to charge full list price on stuff, and they were located in the same parking lot as Sam Ash...so you could easily get the same item for significantly less money without doing much work.

I know that they moved the store and then changed it's name. Then he also opened another, smaller shop specializing in repair.

Anyways, here's an article from the local paper when he opened the new shop:
    http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Musician-finds-perfect-chord-with-vintage-guitar-1339720.php

9. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, no luck finding info in the early 90's BP mags. It probably was in one of the guitar mags of the time...

10. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    From the April 1997 BP (Jason Newsted on the cover)....

Attached Files:

11. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Fantastic! Thank you Slagbass!!

12. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Boy, I didn't look hard enough... I have that issue. Well done!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021