Please help me find a body to fit this neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by winston, Nov 1, 2005.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Last year I picked up a homemade 6 string from a local guy. Neck/bridge/tuners/pickups are all high quality but his woodworking/electronics skills left a lot to be desired. I'd like to find a body to fit the neck but I'm not really sure where to look. Neck is super solid--double truss, nice fret job, good finish, graphite nut, and most importantly I find its dimensions comfortable. Most 6-ers I've tried are too wide for my tastes.

Guy told me the neck was a Warmoth but I don't see any others like it on their site. Also looked at AllParts and Stew-Mac but no luck.

34" Scale
    2 1/16" at nut
    3 1/4" at heel
    1" thick at heel

Basically...I don't have any woodworking skills. I can drill, file, solder...I'm hoping to find a finished body that I can put all the parts onto. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. looks like no Warmoth scarf-joint I've ever seen. :meh:

I'm sure someone here could get something going body-wise for you. I could, but I'd need the neck, obviously. That's a really small neck heel. And I HATE all those superfluous anchor points.
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Headstock looks like it's potentiallya Warmoth but not exactly the same. If it is then somebody removed a bunch of the heel portion.

Like said above, you are probably stuck making a body to fit it. If it is a Warmoth you could buy a Gecko body and make a filler piece to replace what was removed from the neck but I wonder if that short heel would be strong enough?

Here's a pick of the Warmoth neck for reference:

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks for your replies. I'm almost certain it's not a Warmoth--it doesn't look like any of their conventional bass necks and it's 34" scale (Geckos are 35"). Judging by the less than expert job the guy did on the body, there's no way he could have made this neck.

Just curious, Mon Rominee, what would you charge to make a body? I'm usually very careful when it comes to buying gear--if it's new stuff I'll be sure it's worth it, if it's used I'll make sure I pay a price where I can get back my investment. Paid a little more than I should have so I'm trying to minimize costs from here, I might just end up selling all the parts and moving on. I really liked the feel and style of the bass but I just wish I had maybe gotten an Ibanez SR506 instead.
  5. Take it to a PM and tell me what you have in mind...
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think that looks like a Brice neck.