Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me find what I'm looking for.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phishaholik, Aug 24, 2005.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Great forum everyone. I am coming back to playing bass after five years away. I play a 1980 P-Bass that I rebuilt after it sat around as parts in someones garage. I love the tone, but the neck is out of adjustment and I have to fight it to play it. I don't mean the neck needs to be adjusted, the truss rod is completely loosened, and I still need more curve. The fact that I use TI jazz strings doesn't help since they are low tension. Long story short, I am in the market for a new bass. I don't play heavy rock, and I don't need to cut through guitarists with Marshalls. I love the piano like tone I get out of my P-bass. I'm looking for something that's easier to play. A through neck would be nice. Right now I'm looking at a 92 Warwick Dolphin Pro I for around $2200. I think this is on the high side, but it is the only one I have found. I don't what's really going on with basses these days. Through researching through the search function I have learned things like Warwicks aren't as good as they used to be and Lakland has foreign made basses now. Could some of you point me in the right way for a good replacement for my old P? My limit is around $2400 and I only want a four. Used is better too. I'll be running it through an SWR SM-400s with an SWR 2x10 and 1x18.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out,

Michael

2. +1 on the Ric. I dont own one, but for your purposes, they fit the bill.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you love the piano tone you're getting, why buy a new bass? Your bass is not shot by any means. You need to take it to a repair shop. They can fix it by shimming the neck to cause it to have more backbow, cutting a nut that's higher than what you have, or in slightly more drastic cases, dressing (filing down) the frets or doing a full refret. And who knows? Maybe the bass is fine and you just need it tweaked out by a pro. 1980 Fenders are about to start getting collector's prices, so I'd do anything I needed to fix it.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If the neck's the only real issue with your P, why not get a new one from Warmoth, USACG or better still for that 'piano like tone' a carbon replacement from Status Graphite? If you can fit it, the worst case expense will be about $US500 for the Status, but it will give you excellent tone and stability. The other two options are cheaper, probably <$300 unless you get some exotic wood combo.

Status Graphite > Online Shop > Replacement Necks. Excellent customer service too.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Buying another neck will kill the collector's value, so if that's important to you, just fix the neck you have. No offense, Dharma, just thought he should know.

6. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Honestly, my P-Bass was one of the crappy ones that left the factory. The neck pocket is way to big for the neck. I had a local guy put some shims in it, but it far from ideal. I thought about a moses neck, but if I do it will be in the future. It needs to be rewired and reshielded. I love the tone, but with how much time I spend playing and practicing, it is time for a new instrument. I'm not a big fan of the shape of the neck either. Thanks for all the replies.

Michael

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Don't let the "foreign made" tag on the Lakland Skylines fool you -- they are incredible basses, and are well set up and finished in Chicago. The Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub P-type bass I played in a store was better than the MIA Precision I played in another store (though obviously basses vary tremendously on an individual level).

That being said, the USA Laklands are even better, and you can easily get a USA Bob Glaub or Joe Osborn for less than $2400 new.

There's nothing wrong with a Ric either. I love my 4003, and love its classic feel and tone, though right now most of my playing is on my Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones, which continues to amaze me with its quality.

I, too, returned to playing after a considerable absence, and it's great to be back. Due to more modern production methods, there are a lot fewer "lemons" being produced today than there used to be. Good luck in finding a new bass, and remember, the fun part is going into the stores knowing you can buy something really nice, and playing as many basses as you can. :D

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ah, you've got GAS. OK, If you want a P, 1998 is a great year for Fender USA and not worth all that much on the collector's market yet. You can find 1998 P's all day long for $500. 1998 is the new 1957 for Fender. Or other good P clones are made by Lakland, Sadowsky, and Mike Lull.

9. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, I ended up getting an Alembic Epic for $900 on ebay. I remembered that the tone I have always been trying to get was the sound I got out of an old Spoiler that I played back in the day. Plus, it was $1300 cheaper than the Dolphin I was also looking at. That leaves me enough money to finish paying off my SWR SM-400s, get a new low cab, a drum machine, and have a bunch of money left over. I'm going to keep my P-Bass though and string it up with some flat wounds. Maybe the extra tension will pull the neck into a better bow.

Thanks for the input guys,

Michael Grote

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Two things you said caught my ear. Piano-like tone and a $2400 limit. Why not go for a Spector Euro model? It has piano-like clarity and it'll save you about a grand that you can use for amplification or anything else you may wish to accompany your bass. And finally, it's probably the most comfortable bass you'll ever play.