1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me "get" the heroes!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ALiP BoB, Dec 20, 2006.

1. I'm not sure which section this belongs to but here goes...

Geddy Lee, James Jamerson, John Paul Jones.
    Please, name tracks! Lots of it. The more influence the better right?

I'm 16 so, yea, too young and caught up with the current "scene" to be "bothered" with the heroes.

Thanks!

Sorry but no Jaco. I spent a few months and still can't get him. I gave up.:ninja:

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Geddy

Jamerson

JPJ

You're better off listening to all their work - ie, not just cherrypicking the technical or flashy ones - and getting an idea of the full range of their skills, when to step up and let rip and when to sit back and just groove.

3. You don't expect me to listen to all do you?

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You're young - there's plenty of time. :D

5. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Go out and buy every Rush and Led Zeppelin album (they're worth the money in my opinion).

Also, I agree that the more music you listen to, the better, but I don't think you're going to find a solid way to combine Jamerson, Jones and Lee into a method of playing that's not going to sound like someone named Les Claypool. That's just my personal opinion on if I combined 3 bassists to get his sound, that would be them. (not the tone, the method)

6. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    age is no excuse, i started listening to Jaco when i was 10. AND I LIKED IT! YOU HAS NO EXCUSE!

7. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    yea i dont think age is an excuse. Im 16 and Jamerson and John Paul jones are two of my favorites . Ive listened to them for a few years now. Geddy Lee is also great. and you asked to haev some recordings , someone gave you an answer and you said" Dont expect me to listen to it all" ?? Doesnt make sense to me . But I would recommend Led Zeppelin II and for jamerson you could just pick up about anything Motown and youre bound to hear him

8. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Don't forget John Entwistle. Who Live at Leeds.

Jamerson - Standing in the Shadows of Motown book + cds

9. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    in the same spirit of trying to maybe give you one album to sum up each player try the live albums... for Geddy try "Exit Stage Left"... to me it was Rush's prime... people may argue it's classic Rush some may not, but it's a damn good place to start... for John Paul Jones try "How The West Was One" (I think that's the name), the 2003 released live album...

for a fuller experience buy the recent Rush Replay 3 DVD which includes tracks from Exit Stage Left and the 2003 Led Zeppelin self titled DVD to see and hear... for me those are Rush and Zep at full throttle plus both these albums give you an idea of the man playing his instrument live... (although I think the Rush one is heavily overdubbed)...

10. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    You want to play like someone you study who they listened to, your go to their roots to hear where they came from.

If you can't hear why these guys are legends then something is wrong. I question if your into playing music or just want to be an a band because its cool.

11. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I was in the same position when I was 16... I was so so into music but it was current music and music that my Mum played at home which went from the Carpenters to Rod Stewart and Bread... then my dad goes and gives me Hendrix, Zeppelin, Bad Company, Cream, Mountain albums... I mean all of them... it's tough to figure out where to start and I believe that was his original question...

plus a young player into Les Claypool figures Geddy lee was one of Les heroes so I gotta listen to Geddy... I mean how many generations do u have to go back... note on that, I've only read one bass player interview with Geddy and he didn't list any influences only the fact that he loved Chris Squires sound and went and bought a Rick...

12. I dont think age is an excuse too,I'm 14 and these are some of my bass heroes:

Chris Squire, Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, Louis Johnson, Bootsy Collins, Geddy Lee, James jamerson, John Entwistle,Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan.

13. And i'm old enought to be your dad and i still don't get him either :oops:

14. take that. LOL

Im not using age as an excuse. Just that well yea, I listen to Zepplin but not Rush or Motown.

I like Larry G but I hate old recordings. I can't hear the bass.
    And uh, Chris Squire too please!

And I stand by what I said. I do not get Jaco nor Victor Wooten . :ninja:

15. And no, Im not gonna copy nor combine all the heroes's technique. I just wanna appreciate the uh "forefathers." I mean lets face it. Without them, music ain't gonna be what it is today.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Go out and buy Power Windows and Hold Your Fire by Rush. Then you're set!

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Not to be rude, but then what's the point?

I mean, if you are just looking for a taste of these guys to see if you like their style, then fine, I understand what you are looking for.

But if you know you want to have them as influences on your playing, then you should WANT to listen to as much of them as possible.

Otherwise, listening to a few tracks out of a sense of obligation isn't going to get you where you want to be.

If it's the former, then check out Led Zeppeling II (Heartbreaker, The Lemon Song, What Is And What Should Never Be, and my favorite Ramble On).

For Jamerson, some of my favorite work is with Stevie Wonder. Check out I Was Made to Love Her, Uptight (Everythings Alright), and For Once In My Life. Also, his work on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" is great (and is the first time his name was ever mentioned on an album's credits) but be aware that he only plays on half the album.

If you like Jamerson, I think the best $28 or so I ever spent was buying "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". I am still learning Jamerson's parts and it is improving my sight reading too.

As for Rush, somebody else can help you out there as I am at best a casual fan.

18. Most bands wouldn't exist without them. I just want to know where they uh "come from" ya know. Like how music evolves.
    Still, I want to be a fan of a the heroes.
    Imagine people asking, "You know James Jamerson? He's AWESOME!" and I'll be like "err yea..."

Getting Influenced is just uh, along the way...

I hope you get this idiotic explaination:D

19. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Well, in that case, you'd better listen to the Beatles, Zep, and the Who too. :D