Please Help me get the right cab! Aguilar, Ampeg or Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My options are:
    Aguilar 212 (2x12")
    Ampeg 410HLF (4x10")
    Ashdown ABM-BP1510 (15"+2x10")

Which would you choose and why?

I play a Fender P-bass through an Ashdown ABM300 and I want a fat but not muddy sound.
    See my profile for further info on influences.
  2. What cab are you playing through at th moment, are you using the Ashdown ABM combo, I have the Mag 200 4x10 combo, I can get as deep as I want with this, I also have a Crate 2x15 that I use with a Firebass head, I think the Ashdown just edges it on Quality, but the 2x15 rattles the bollocks. I would like to try the Ashdown 1x15-2x10 though, that cab loks as though its got it all.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive sold my previous cabs (Trace Elliot) cause I didn´t like their sound at all. So right now I just have the ABM300 head. Ive tried both the Ampeg and the Ashdown I listed above and I really like both of them. I´m hoping for your comparisons and comments on the Ag 212 vs the Ampeg and Ash as I can´t try the Ag here. Anyone?
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Ag is well-liked here (see the other thread where DaveS talks about his A/B experience). If you're truly limited to those three choices, I'd opt for the Ag. The Ashdown is too heavy, the Ampeg is not even in the same class, tone-wise.

After much recent evaluation, I settled on the Epifani T212, myself. It was the clear winner for me but I understand that may not be an option for you and they are rather expensive, too.
  5. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just bought 2 Aguilar 112's and so far so good.
    They are lightweight and they have a warm sound.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You forgot the other "A" company that makes high quality cabs---->Link :p