Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Help me get the right cab! Aguilar, Ampeg or Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My options are:
    Aguilar 212 (2x12")
    Ampeg 410HLF (4x10")
    Ashdown ABM-BP1510 (15"+2x10")

Which would you choose and why?

I play a Fender P-bass through an Ashdown ABM300 and I want a fat but not muddy sound.
    See my profile for further info on influences.

2. What cab are you playing through at th moment, are you using the Ashdown ABM combo, I have the Mag 200 4x10 combo, I can get as deep as I want with this, I also have a Crate 2x15 that I use with a Firebass head, I think the Ashdown just edges it on Quality, but the 2x15 rattles the bollocks. I would like to try the Ashdown 1x15-2x10 though, that cab loks as though its got it all.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ive sold my previous cabs (Trace Elliot) cause I didn´t like their sound at all. So right now I just have the ABM300 head. Ive tried both the Ampeg and the Ashdown I listed above and I really like both of them. I´m hoping for your comparisons and comments on the Ag 212 vs the Ampeg and Ash as I can´t try the Ag here. Anyone?

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Ag is well-liked here (see the other thread where DaveS talks about his A/B experience). If you're truly limited to those three choices, I'd opt for the Ag. The Ashdown is too heavy, the Ampeg is not even in the same class, tone-wise.

After much recent evaluation, I settled on the Epifani T212, myself. It was the clear winner for me but I understand that may not be an option for you and they are rather expensive, too.

5. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just bought 2 Aguilar 112's and so far so good.
    They are lightweight and they have a warm sound.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You forgot the other "A" company that makes high quality cabs---->Link :p