1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me grow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nerve, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Hullo all,

I've been playing bass for approximately 15 years now, and I'm just as passionate now as I was from the beginning. When I started, my gear was pretty poor (learned on some bass called a "Vantage" powered by a Peavey Basic 50), but it quickly evolved into some nice stuff (very short stint with a Gibson Ripper, then onto my current setup). I was fortunate to find good gear early, but I've now been with it for quite a while now, and the temptation to expand is really getting to me.

My current setup:

Rickenbacker 4003s ('95 in Jetglo)
    GK 800RB (of the older, better, "broken-in" variety)
    SWR Bigfoot 2x12
    Tech21 SansAmp BDDI
    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner (Included because, heck, at least it's another pedal)

... and that's it.

Now I know that my gear is decent, but that's just it... it's been decent for quite some time now and I'm aching to expand. I almost revamped my entire setup recently to include an Ashdown ABM 2x10 combo and separate 1x15 cab, but was talked out of it by the fine folks on this forum (thanks again).

I want to grow, but I need help doing so. I've looked into most of my options; I've considered expanding my bass collection to include various Fender models, new amps (Tubes? Rack mountables?), cabs with speaker sizes (although I do enjoy being unique with the 2x12, maybe I should by-amp into a 2x10 as well...), and several pedals (particularly chorus, fuzz, and compressors. I'm very picky about bass effects. Most seem gimmicky.) amongst other options. Any ideas and opinions about how I could expand my arsenal and grow would be much appreciated. I would appreciate all the sagely advice and wisdom people can muster for me on here. The smallest upgrade, building on my current setup, to the complete overhaul... I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

(ps - I play a lot of euro-styled, sorta proggish alt. rock, with influences like U2, Radiohead, the Cure, the Beatles, Blur, Elbow, Doves, the Smiths, and on and on)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My tendency -almost a "method"- is to buy tons of used gear and try it out for a while to see what I like, and sell off everything that doesn't improve on my current setup. While shopping around, I research the items I'm interested in by searching for threads about them in this and other forums. That way I learn a fabulous amount, both in the opinions of others and in first-hand experience.

Try reading through a few pages of the Amps forum and writing down every brand, model, or acronym you are not familiar with. Then search on those terms in the forum to learn what they are and what people think about them.

Then, having grown older and greyer, do the same in the Basses forum, and the Effects forum.

Really, I think you'll get a much better idea of what is out there for you in that way than by picking up a small handful of particular gear suggestions in this thread.

Good luck!

3. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    Hey Bongo, that's a great idea about the used gear. In fact, I've already been "craigslist"-ing constantly for all sorts of new gear just to see if anything interesting pops up (including basses, amps, pedals, etc.).

About the research bit; that's part of my problem! Researching all this gear makes me want to buy more stuff. So I end up researching to heck out of everything, getting to know all the specs inside and out, and become even more confused by the variety. You're right though, there is a whole lot of good reviews and data about gear on these forums. A guy could drown in it all.

... but it is fun, isn't it? Sort of like window shopping. Very dangerous window shopping.

Thanks for the great tips, bongomania.

4. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    I recently asked myself the same question. What is your compeling reason fro change?

5. Nerve

Nerve

May 2, 2007
    My reason may not be all that compelling, but maybe people can understand. Basically, my sound has been quite good for quite some time now, but I'm just wondering what else I'm missing. What if it could be better? What if I only like it because I haven't tried much else out there. I do prefer my tones to most other bass players I play with, but consistency is giving way to complacancy, which in turn fuels my curiosity.

Was that at all similar to your logic?