Please help me help someone - 7 year old starting on bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 19, 2014.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I was contacted by a family in my area who is looking for a bass for their 7 year old.
    Even though they are in my region, they actually found me through an online search.
    [very pleasing]

They had thoughts of an acoustic. Through searching online, they started considering the
    Gold Tone MBass.

Once I heard he was 7, this is what I recommended:

What do you think? Would you agree or disagree? Let's help them find something affordable and comfortable for their 7 year old. [keeping in mind they were inclined to have an acoustic.]

Thanks.

2. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Ibanez Mikro for my boys (started at 6 or so, now 9 and 7). I have a practice amp though, so didn't have to buy anything extra. The older one is just getting to the point where he can hold a 34" without struggling but I think the finger reach from 30" is a more manageable transition than from an ultra-short. ymmv and all that of course.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks.

I would agree that the Mikro becomes a good option at some point. He has a Mikro now,
    and they think he'd enjoy having something smaller. Sounds like the Mikro is quite a stretch for him.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I think you were right in recommending the Sojourn, given they want to go purely acoustic. I'm inclined to stay away from synthetic strings so that the kid can build up the calouses on his fingertips. It's just slightly easier. I have a 12 year old niece who started on a nylon classical guitar. She told me that if she were able to start over, she'd stick to metal strings. Just a thought.

5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Squier Jaguar SS is only 180$.

AltGrendel likes this.
  6. Ibanez has a nice 3/4 size bass. Could be a good starter. When he gets his beginner chops you can always move up to a standard size.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    All good options, a Squire Bronco might fit the bill also plus it's almost indestructible. I would avoid hollow bodies, we are talking about a seven year old boy here.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021