Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me ID an effect...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 10, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    (Christos, you probably know this one!)

My bud and I have been working on Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta. Can anyone help me ID the bass effect used in the bridge? I'm not an effects user, but am considering getting this one for this particular song. (Because I don't use 'em, I can't ID 'em very effectively.)

I *think* it's a really filthy overdrive, but it may be the keyboards, too.

Comments?

2. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Damned if I know - that's why I'm asking! :D

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's a fuzz. Any SS disto will do that fairly well. Try something like a big muff with the tone knob fairly low. Careful though, the big muff has $h*tloads of gain:)

Really though, for someone who doesn't use effects, and wants this tone, the simplicity and tone of the muff wins.

btw, thanks for making me pull this song out of the archives :D

Enjoy HD. And tell us if you get somthing, I'm curious to know if you get a fuzz/disto or not.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I guess it was too much to hope that it'd be an inexpensive effect, huh? Thanks, guys!

5. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    what do you mean inexpensive? My cheap Ibanez fuzz (FZ-7) that you can find for $30 used will do it if it had to. The big muff made in Russia is only $50 or so...

If you don't really want one that's fine, but if you like the sound, I would like to see you get it. Fuzz can be a fun tool when used right.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, I thought the Big Muff was a $150 effect! OK, I'll look around - thanks!

7. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    yeah, np. I was fooling around with my fuzz, try cheap fuzzes (like the ibanez) and if you no like, go with the $50 muff (less used). You won't be out much money either way I think.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been offered a guitar fuzz pedal - will it work OK for my purposes? The price is right (like free)...

9. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well actually I use a guitar fuzz. I'd take it, it should work ok. Mine doesn't even cause much low end loss (its a fuzz... natuarally it is insane anyway, so the lows aren't exactly lost).

Sounds good, have fun. It may take you awhile to figure out the setting you're looking for.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, the freebie hasn't shown up yet. It's actually my late father's old fuzz wah pedal that's rightfully mine, but it's a drive away.

So, I stopped at Ye Old Cash Converters tonight on the way home from the orifice, and picked up a like-new DOD 66 "Flashback Fuzz" for $15. It seems to do the trick, or at least close enough for government work. I'm not trying to duplicate the recording, after all.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

11. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    good to hear you like it. Yeah, no need to reproduce the sounds exactly :)

Enjoy...