1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

please help me identify my first DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chris Baldwin, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    After taking all of your expert advise on purchasing my first bass I stayed away from ebay and shopped locally on craigslist. I found a local lady selling this bass. Acording to her she bought it in the mid seventies from the first double bass chair of the Wyoming symphony billings. I really want to believe her. She had it speakers at the loft violin shop in Ohio they were unsure of the make but stated that it was not a kay. It has a number inside but no sticker. She had refinished it and had put on a pinstripe. It is fully laminated and has kluson timers. To me the beginner it has good volume and sustain it serves my purpose great but would like a little insight on the make. Any input positive or not is greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris.

ForumRunner_20120726_184544.

ForumRunner_20120726_184605.

ForumRunner_20120726_184526.

ForumRunner_20120726_184506.

ForumRunner_20120726_184443.

ForumRunner_20120726_184421.

ForumRunner_20120726_184354.

ForumRunner_20120726_184323.

2. Looks like an early Kay to me. Are there pencil markings visible inside the body?

3. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    No pencil marks that I can see but it is dusty and maybe a cheerio in the bottom.

Attached Files:

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Kluson tuners, kerfing... I'm thinking you're right.

5. If I'm reading those numbers correctly as 15223, and it's a Kay, that would make it a 1947 which is consistent with what I'm seeing in your photos. And if the scroll "ears" are integral and not glued on, and if the fingerboard is original and ebony, it's one of the better Kays. Nice find.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The best way to get an accurate date of manufacture on it is to shake the Cheerio out and chew it with a discerning palate.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    And a half bottle of Spanish red wine! ;)

8. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Nice find! Looks like you stumbled on great bass. Neck repair looks okay for now, not the greatest but it looks solid. How does it play? If I was you I would take the horrid electrical tape stripes off, not sure what you can do to remove the residue. It looks like the entire bass could use a cleaning though, might want to try some instrument cleaner.

9. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    It has all the features of a post war Kay (tuners are not pre-war). The serial numbers by this time were machine stamped in either blue or black ink so the hand written serial number is curious. The top is maple and not spruce. I have an Epiphone bass that has the maple top. It is a great sounding bass.

This is most likely a factory made Kay that was distributed under another name such as Kay-Meyer, Selmer, Kay Kraftsman and other brands. I would say the original finish has been removed as it closely resembles my 1937 K-Meyer.

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/mm428/bassmonkey2/1937 K-Meyer/?albumview=slideshow

What ever it is enjoy it, make some great music with it!

10. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    Thank you all for the insight on this bass. I appreciate your time and knowledge. I will give this bass some tlc and a good home. It has a great sound and will bring me years of joy. Thanks again Chris.

11. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The rounded pegbox opening is the giveaway. It's definitely a Kay.

- Steve