Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me identify these strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rubo, Jun 23, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, i have a dillema, the 65' Fender Jazz that I got not long a go, came with a pack of old Flatwound strings, which I love, but these are old and have bending spots all over the palce, still feel and play good. Th eowner has no clue, he use Boomers instead. I've been to every local shop, no one can identify it, plus in Toronto most stores don't have any Flats in stock. The only suggestion I got was D'Addario, but the problem is mine are 45,65,85,105 and D'Addario chromes don't have that set, unless it was made from two sets, or it's an old product by D'Addario which is no onger made. In the pictures as you can see each string has a color - 105 is Gold, 85 is Red, 65 is Black, 45 is Green. Also there is a blue cloth aroud both ends of the string. The tension is medium maybe slighly tighter then medium, sound is similar to TI Flats, so no thump, no zing, but not so mcuh focus on midrange as TI, but the guage is different then TI. So far I tried TI, Dean Markley and SIT, not the same, I still prefer these. I've never seen or tried Rotosound or Labella Deep Talking - these are the only two which match the guage set as mine. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The balls on the end are a typically D'addario way of differentiating between gauges. My chromes (while not having those gauges) do have colored ball ends.

It may be an old set.

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    What are the colores on yours and for which guages?

cheers

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Did you check them with a micrometer, or how did you determine the gauges? Just wondering, because D'Addario does make a .045-.100 set, and a .050-.105 set.

In any case, based on your description and pictures, I can't see how they would be anything other than Chromes.

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    yes I had it checked with the micrometer.

Cheers

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Mine are new D'addario Chromes (long scale 5 string), I imagine the color conventions are the same, though. Here's what I've got:

G: Green ball-end, .45 gauge
    D: Purple ball-end, .65 gauge
    A: Red ball-end, .80 gauge
    E: Black ball-end, .100 gauge
    B: Bronze ball-end, .132 gauge

Edit: My strings also have blue silk wrap on the peghead-end.

Hope that helps.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Do you have the same blue cloth on both ends of the string?

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Sorry, you posted before I edited; but yes, I've got kinda medium-dark blue silk wrap on the peghead end and (I just noticed since I saw your post) the bridge end.

I think you've got D'addarios, man. That's the only stringmaker I've ever seen that color-codes the ball ends like that.

9. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah, I think so, I'll order some tomrrow, and will sell all the other ones I bought.

Cheers

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Never used D'Addario bass strings, but they're the only maker I know that use different coloured ball ends! I have used their geetar strings though!

Maybe worth rechecking the measurements....or maybe a personal mix between two different sets - maybe standard top heavy bottom???? :eyebrow:

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    It was mesured by tech guy, so it's a custom set for sure.

Cheers