1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Help Me Identify This Fender!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tondogg162, Nov 22, 2018.

1. tondogg162

tondogg162

Aug 23, 2012
    Hi guys,
    I know someone who may be willing to sell this bass. They don't have any info on the instrument and the seller inherited it from a family member. Would anyone be able to help me identify the year and/or fair price?
    I initially thought 70's because of the block inlays and truss rod Allen wrench adjustment at the headstock but I noticed that the serial number says "s/n B001240". I've never seen any 70's bass that begins with a letter. As far as I know, the usually start with S and then the second digit of the year it was produced (S7 = 77'). I think it may be a replacement neck on a separate body (not from the factory) but, if that's the case, I can't really tell how old the body might be. Please help!

Attached Files:

G-Z likes this.
  2. Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm gonna say "parts-bass". The body has none of the extra routing for the Miller-sig's preamp and battery. Nope, I stand corrected! :oops:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Admiral Akbar likes this.
  4. John Cribbin

John Cribbin

Jan 5, 2018
    The B+6 numbers on a MIJ dates the neck at least to 1985-86. For the body, you'd really need to see the stamps in the neck pocket for more info.

tondogg162 likes this.
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Looks like a MIJ '75 reissue. I remember seeing these when they came out in the mid/late '80s.

6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I think that's a MIJ 70's reissue. great basses . Last few I saw sold for $700-$1000

tondogg162 likes this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Its not a Marcus, its just the regular MIJ 75 reissue. Japan uses the wrong 3.6" pickup spacing on that model.
    Ive had those, there are no date stamps

tondogg162 likes this.
  8. Malak the Mad

…and the "Marcus Miller" signature on the headstock? ;)

tondogg162 likes this.
  9. tondogg162

tondogg162

Aug 23, 2012
    Thanks so much guys. Yeah after looking at similar models, it looks like a 1985-1985 MIJ 75' Reissue. Thanks again

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You need to look at the pictures again. :D

The OP put pictures of a 75RI.
    Someone else (FenderOli) posted a picture of a Marcus headstock.

tondogg162, Jazzish and FenderOli like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    “wrong” pickup spacing? I was unaware that God himself had dictated pickup spacings. Is this somewhere in Leviticus? ;-)

tondogg162 likes this.
  12. Malak the Mad

giphy. :D

Caca de Kick and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  13. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I believe that he means the pickup spacing is wrong for a '75. I recollect that Fender moved the rear pickup a bit closer to the bridge sometime during 1974 to get a tone more useful for slap players.

tondogg162 and jackn1202 like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fender moved it to hide it better under the ashtray. Accommodating a dozen guys who played slap at that time wasn’t high on Fender’s list of priorities. Yes, it may have worked better for them, but that was accidental.

JimmyM, tondogg162 and staurosjohn like this.