Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me in making my MIM Jazz sound more like my Brad Houser 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clutch81, Mar 9, 2005.

1. clutch81

clutch81

Apr 5, 2002
    Downtown LA
    This past December I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Reverend Brad Houser 5 string. I fell in love with the thing and bought it on the spot. Unfortunately it means my Epiphone Jack Cassady now has to watch from the sidelines. None the less the Reverend has also reinstilled my interest in the low B string. Now since you can't find the Brad Houser 5's anywhere (if anyone has any leads on them please let me know) I've decided to resurect my MIM 5 String Jazz and try and bring it up somewhere near the level of the Brad Houser bass, a daunting task indeed. I'm already deffinately planning on either a hipshot A style bridge, or a BadassII, but as far as pickups and electronics I'm very much open to suggestions. I'd like to stay passive but am open to any available suggestions. If I can't make it sound like the BH5 does any one have any suggestions for wierd and otherwise unusual pickup combinations that might lead to some other cool sounds? Much thanks for any and all suggestions or comments!

2. So much of the Reverend sound comes from the semi-hollow body, that I don't think you can really get a Fender to sound like your Brad Houser.
    As far as pickups, you might try Kent Armstrongs. I have them in both my Rumblefish.. they're very high-output and sound great.

3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Fat guage flatwounds.

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Although you can get a BH5 to sound like a Fender with a little air, I don't think you'll be able to get a MIM to sound like a BH5. The BH5 is 35 inch scale and semi hollow. But then again anythings possible......................................Such as getting enough people motivated to phone or email Joe Naylor at Reverend and convince him into doing some limited Bass runs. ie BH5, P/J and other Fish. There is a chance that the Fish could be running again:) If there is enough demand.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

5. clutch81

clutch81

Apr 5, 2002
    Downtown LA
    Thanks for the tips! I realize that a lot of the BH5 sound comes from the semi hollow body, I guess I should rephrase my request. I'm really just looking to upgrade my MIM so that it will be a suitable backup for the BH5 :) Anyways thanks again for all of your input I'll check out the Kent Armstrong stuff.

Rezdog, I'm deffinately motivated, and I've just sent in my email to Mr. Naylor!