1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me pick a few Boutique pedals...goodbye Fireworx

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jibreel, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Ok.. I am finally starting to get a grip on this craziness :rolleyes: I am fortunate that I can afford good equitment but sometimes I do not think it through.

So the Fireworx is an amazing unit. So many options. TOO many options. Some great sounds. It makes SENSE to have all the effects in one unit but I play live. I had this fantasy of studio sound production in every live settling. Not going to happen. And anyway, my rig sounds great with no effects. I add the Demeter compulator and I am good to go. So the TC is getting sold.

I want to get a Flanger pedal and a Delay pedal [ ideally with a few programable settings ].

Highest quality. Perhaps they should be analog. I need them for ambiance, not wild effects. I need rich, lush , fat , smooth and organic sounds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I know you said you wanted to buy boutique stuff but the Boss DD3 (delay) and Bf2 (flanger) are two of the best sounding pedals fo bass that i have ever encountered.

They are both better in the japenese versions which there are plenty around and reasonable prices.

3. Line 6 DL-4 for delay for sure. It's not analogue but it has tap tempo and you can store three delays on it that can be selected with individual stomp switches.

Sorry, that's the best description I cound give but I think it would definately suit your needs.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    fulltone tube tape echo for delay and for flanger try Maxon FL-9 or FL-301.

5. masprague

masprague

May 6, 2007
    I dont know if I would consider that a boutique pedal. There has to be a few better ones, esp. if he is considering analogue.

6. +1 to the Boss! Not boutique, but they sound great. Im not sure about the DD3 as I only use a new model one, but my BF-2 is an old Japanese one. To be honest, the Japanese BF-2 isn't really any different to a Made in Taiwan version...

7. Get the Fulltone Choral Flange and tell me how it is! ;)

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's good.

Did you want a more comprehensive review? :D

9. Yes Sir! :hyper:

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pros: Sound, sound, and tweakability. Great construction.
    Cons: Size (think a BigMuff sideways) and the seemingly impossible task of finding a setting that works well for both flanger and chorus. Pops when the effect is changed while engaged.

I like the Analogman better; very similar sounds in a smaller package with less controls. I've canned the chorus, but if I were to get another, it would be an Analogman. If I needed a chorus and a flanger, I'd use an Analogman plus a seperate flanger over the Choralflange. It's a great pedal in theory, but not that useful as both a chorus and a flanger without extreme settings changes. I didn't ever use the flanger in live situations because of this.

11. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1! that is some boutique goodiness, right there. nice!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Boutique does not necessarily mean that is is better for your needs. You aren't going to find an analogue pedal that can store presets. The Line 6 DL4 is supposed to be good though.

13. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Texas
    The TTE is a good option but it is a bit bulky and doesn’t have multiple delay settings. For a boutique analog delay with multiple settings, the only one I am aware of is the echo czar. It has two channels of delay and if you add the optional angel baby, you get three channels, with one channel having a modulated delay. Good stuff, not cheap and super long lead time.

[​IMG]

Another good boutique analog delay option is the memory lane. Doesn’t have multiple channels but does have tap tempo. In another post, I seem to remember markjazzbassist stating that he has one of these.

For analog flangers, Maxon is mass produced, but boutique quality components and build so you can’t go wrong there. If you want a true boutique analog flanger, go with the Foxrox paradox. Steep learning curve but lots of capability. Of course there is always the ADA or Lovetone, but good luck finding one of those…

[​IMG]

14. That's why I recommended it. You could always buy three seperate analogue delays if you really have a problem with digital and need presets.

15. Thanks. The big two seem to be the Analogman and the Choral Flange.

16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

for delay, there is only one option that i can recommend...

pigtronix echolution

hands down, THE most impressive pedal i've ever heard.

17. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Line 6 DL-4 is ****. It's made to break.

The footswitch pegs are mounted onto the PCB, so the more you stomp on your stompbox, the more you break it, forcing the cheap pegs/springs through the board and out the back. Invariably, I have seen all of the DL-4's break (or have heard stories of it breaking). My friend Rob Crow of Pinback told me that he has like 6 DL-4's and a designated DL-4 repairman.

It will inevitably break.

I recommend the Pigtronix Echolution or the Boss DD-20 for delay. Or you could always get more than one delay, like having a Line 6 Echo Park and a Guyatone MD-3.

18. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks for the comments all.

Anyone know where to buy the Pigtronix Echolution ?

19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

echolution is second to none.

20. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've had a BF-2 since the 80s, and it serves well set as a chorus. My only problem with it is that has thus far made my keen desire for an Analog.Man Clone Chorus seem too self-indulgent to satisfy. Curse you, BF-2!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021