please help me! please!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by crossingpoint, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ok, im playing on a completely standard Ibanez GSR205 5 string jazz bass... but i play in a hardcore/punk band. would changing the pickups give me more of a punk/slap sound rather than the jazzy sound? if so, can i just put any pickups in it? im pretty useless when it comes to electrical things, so any (really, ANY) help will be greatly appreciated. should i change my strings?
  2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    what kind of strings are you using? are you playing with fingers or a pick?
    have you considered a pre-amp?
  3. i use the standard strings that came with the bass, i play with a pick. i dont even know what a pre-amp does! im fairly un-educated when it comes to musical stuff. the people at the music shops i went to dont know anything about upgrading ur instrument either =/
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    First, please read any newbie links you can find pertaining to this subject. Next, if you want to replace your pickups, you're going to have to know exactly what dimensions they are so you can find the right replacements. Also, given that you have 2 jazz pickups, you have a limited variety to choose from. I think EMG and Bartolini are the only manufacturers of pickups in jazz housing that sound like a p-bass pickup (which is probably better for your style of music).

Unless you're really stuck on keeping that Ibanez, you might just think about getting a different bass entirely.

At any rate, go to guitar store and write down exactly what bass(es) sound the way you want YOURS to sound like. Then we can really help you.

5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Look into Seymour Duncans, I have them in my ESP and it absolutly rocks out. But I 2nd the notion you may want to just look into a new bass, and go play as many as you can.

6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    crossingpoint, do a search in this forum for a number of threads with 'Dimento' or 'Dimentos' in the title. TBer luknfur did a whole series of comparisons of different pickup and even some preamps. Personal taste and preferences for pickups is very, personal, but these should give you some ideas. Also if they are J shaped pickups, there's a thread called 'SMASH's summer showdown' where he also compares a whole lot.