Please help me, rack set up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HellsBassSlayer, Aug 10, 2003.

1. My equipment as of now it listed below. I'm thinking of buying just a regular power amplifier, one that doesn't have an onboard eq for starters. One that will push around 300@8ohm a channel minimum, and going from there with effects. I use a floor processor at the moment, and it's not realiable at all and I'm just tired of having to worry about plugs because it's 8 feet away from my rig. Anyhow, the only effect on it that I use is compression, and once in a while some distortion with the wah-pedal. So I'm thinking of starting off with a two channel amplifier, a two channel eq, compression unit(looking into Rocktron?) and pre-amp for a few effects(also looking at a rocktron bassis bass processor? anyone know anything about them?) finishing it all off with a power conditioner, and a good 4x10 (mid-high freq.), and a 2x15(low freq).

My whole deal is I want to be able to play low notes with lots of bass without the clipping, and also be able to play some highs with some definition, but still a nice deep tone. I've also thought of just beefing up the two high strings. Help!!!
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    For a power amp, check out a QSC RMX 850, those are pretty rock-solid. For a preamp-check one out, and see what you like the best. those are the first things you should get, forget about the EQ. a great Preamp would be a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver. they have two models-the DI (cheaper, a stomp box) and the RBI (one space rackmount, more expensive) these are pretty popular around here, i've used one for recording, and they are real nice. also, QSC is having some sort of red tag sale ( i believe) and they have alot of stuff at a real good price. so get the preamp/poweramp, then get the other stuff.

Good Luck,
  3. Thanks, I will do that. Anyhow, I've found eq's in preamp or processor a bitch to deal with, that's why I just wanted to get a two channel eq and then use one channel of it to control the freq going out of one channel to the 4x10(mid/highs)and use one for the 2x15subs(low/ultra low) that way, I'm not overworking them with that either one would not be used to handling at high wattage or volume, that way, I can get my loud deep yet defined tone without distortion. now am I making sense. I have been looking at Rocktron, are those any good? Thanks for your time...Jay
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bi-amp. pick up a crossover. you can set up so the lows (say 100hz and below) go to the 2x15, and the mids/highs can go to the 4x10 (101hz and up). and i don't know anything about rocktron gear.
  5. so i should purchase a bi-amp, then a crossover? no eq?
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    no, the device to bi-amp is called a crossover. but you should get a preamp first.
  7. ah, thanks. thank you for further showing my stupidity. So then i should be all set with a power amplifier, pre-amp (with effects and eq), and a bi-amp?
  8. so got any ideas where i'd look for a rackmount crossover?
  9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

a pretty good crossover is this (i'm pretty sure this one is good...)

Power Amp
    the poweramp... i wouldn't suggest buying that from musiciansfriend, the QSC Red Tag Sale has them for about 189 dollars.

your options might be different, for what you want, but this would be a good set up.

You can also do a bi-amp without a crossover, just run the 2x15 off one side of the power amp and the 4x10 off the other, and adjust the levels from the amp, but the crossover would be a better idea.
  10. People seem to be listing some pretty complicated stuff for you here. Do what I say and you will be extremely happy (I have bi-amped for many years). Go buy one of these-

It has everything you need (cross-over, eq, effects loop, etc...) and shouldn't run you more then $325 new. Hook it up to any stereo power amp you choose to buy. Here's what I use-

Run the "high" out-put on the back of the pre-amp to channel A of the amplifier, run the "low" out-put to channel B. Run the amp's channel A out-put to your 10's, channel B's ou-put to you 15's. Adjust the cross-over until things sound good.

The 15's won't sound as loud. THIS IS NORMAL because lower frequencies aren't quite as audible to the human ear. Your setting on the cross-over shouldn't be any higher then about 125-130Hz (this would be around 10 o'clock on the dial I think). This will dump all your lows into the 15's and let your 10's handle everything else.

Do as I say and you will be pleased!!!:bassist:

Oh!!! PS: Run your effects through the effects loop on the pre-amp as well. This will eliminate any chance of overloading the input on the pre-amp.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That Peavey gear looks sweet! I wouldn't mind trying a system like that out on a gig. Despite what people say about Peavey stuff, I have used it for years and have found it to be very musical and durable.

Do as I say and you will be pleased!!! Do as I say and you will be pleased!!! Do as I say and you will be pleased!!! Do as I say and you will be pleased!!!

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW

I'd have to agree with G.P.S.. That Peavey looks like it's the best of three worlds. It's a neat two way crossover, a bass preamp, and it's tubed. My RBI doesn't come close to this.

Also, Carvin makes a good crossover, but this Peavey seems like the most economical route, if you can get it for less than 400.00 bucks.
  13. Keep your rack setup portable.

Mine is 79 pounds, and is all I can manage without assistance. This is a mistake that I will rectify by splitting the rack into two smaller boxes, and using lighter material to build them. I used 3/4" plywood, which is gross overkill, and much too heavy.

The plastic types, such as SKB, have a 69 pound maximum weight limit. Many have no rear rails. Check out the Gator racks, which do have rear rails. You can put a standard Neutrik jack plate in the rear rails and interconnect the two rack boxes in short order. You will also need rear rails to to secure power amps. Do not rack them by securing just the front ears. This is not enough control for a heavy amp.

The RMX series amps are twice the weight (or more) of the more expensive PLX models. This adds up very quickly when in the same rack as the other electronics.