Please help me select a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rkfromChi, Oct 19, 2004.

1. rkfromChi

Jan 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL.

I am looking to purchase a new bass and am hoping that I can score a quality axe between $1000 - $2000.

I have narrowed my selections to three choices, here they are:

1). Roscoe LG-3005
    2). Lakland 55-94 and
    3). Sadowsky Tokyo Model.

Please help me select from these choices.
    In particular, if any of you own the Roscoe I have the following question. The Warwick Thumb has its pick ups positioned similar to that of the Roscoe and I found it more difficult to slap than if they were regularly positioned. Has anyone with a Roscoe experienced this?
  2. since you can pay $2000 why not buy you a $1000 bass. And buy me one too, I'm in dire need of a new bass, come on be a pal and help a fellow bassist out :D

I personaly like the Lakland
  3. craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    G & L JB 2. I just bought one and it has the best sound and feel I have ever seen or heard
  4. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    What about a Sadowsky Metro?
  5. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    If I had that kind of scratch, I'd go Stingray5, but maybe thats just me...
  6. Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Hit up the used market for a mint Modulus Q-5. With the current price increases you could hang on to it for a few years, and provided you take good care of it, make all your money back when you get GAS pains in the future. I was GASsing for a 5 string jazz similar to the Sadowsky Metro or Lakland JO, but wound up with a Q5 for $1900 new from a store that had a hard time selling it. Just about the polar opposite of what I was looking for, but I had to consider resale value when dropping 2K on an instrument. This is something you might want to consider if you are fickle when it comes to your gear: Sadowsky seems to have great resale value at the moment, given the fact that there are not too many on the used market (people buy them for LIFE!). Modulus will have high resale value due to the fact that they just raised their prices $600-$800 on all new models. Lately it seems as if the used market is really saturated with Roscoes, although they certainly are a great bass with a devoted following. The other option is to get a lesser priced bass such as a Musicman or Lakland Skyline and pocket the extra cash to spend on a cab or extras. Me...well if I sold one of my basses I would probably use the scratch for some of those kickass EBS pedals and maybe a pandora.