1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PLease help me sort my amp dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bloomy, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Bloomy

Bloomy

Aug 16, 2007
    Hi, I really need some advise- I literally can't find an amp that will work! I have a music man sub and my playing style can be intense; so far this has caused so many problems- ampeg b-2re with b-410he cab actually blew, ashdown ABM 900 EVO with abm 410t cab kept making "cant cope" signs and latest warwick pro fet 5.1 with 411 pro cab won't go loud enough without all the warning lights constantly flashing. Would really appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this-I know something must be wrong somewhere. cheers

2. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Hey Bloomy, I have a MM SUB and I have played it through the GK 1001RBII w/SBX410 + BLX115, I also play it through a Mark Bass LMII w/EA CXL112 + Ashdown 115. It sounds great through both...I would give both of these a try.

3. Bloomy

Bloomy

Aug 16, 2007
    This does reassure me then that the equipment I've been using still doesnt have the potential capacity for what I want. I still have the Warwick set up and was thinking whether its worth getting another cab to go with it. Otherwise I may definately give GK a try- thanks a lot for the reply!!

4. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    IMHO I would try the GK stuff. Easy to find, been around forever. I used it for 20 plus years without any major problems. There's enough bass players out there that are familiar enough to guide you to a good setting.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Sounds to me like you're looking for more volume than one 4x10 cabinet can provide.

Add another 2x10, 1x15, or (if you're looking for ridiculously loud!) another 4x10 to your set up. Even with the same amount of power that your current amp provides, more speakers will give you significantly more volume.

With that said, it's my opinion that unless you're playing big venues or outdoors with no PA support, in most situations a good quality head and a single 4x10 should be sufficient.
    However, there are always exceptions and if you need to go big...then go for the two 4x10s!

If you're up against a heavy hitting drummer, a couple guitar players with 4x12 rigs, a big horn section, keyboards, etc. your solution may be simple...more speakers moving more air.
    Good luck!

6. Bloomy

Bloomy

Aug 16, 2007
    Really appreciate the knowledge guys! (Its been driving me mad for a while), think I'll get an additional cab (2x10s) as its the easiest option, but I've been looking into the GK gear and it seems like a very good option when I can afford to swap around. Thanks again!