1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please, help me to choose the best tube overdrive.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by B'Boom, Nov 1, 2010.

1. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
    I hesitate between several pedals which are :
    _ EBS Valvedrive,but it is manufactured in China and it is not highly reliable apparently.
    _ Swell B-Pro, B-Max, etc,...
    _ Owen Gremlin or Bass Bomber.
    _ The Button manufactured by Tube Depot.
    _ Effectrode Tube Drive connected in the loop / blender of the Xotic X-Blender.
    I play Blues, Pop, Soul, R&B, Rock 60's,70's,and Funk styles. No Metal / Hardcore, etc,...
    Except for the Valvedrive, I never could test all the other pedals because I live in France ( Excuse me for the mistranslations. I speak English like a Spanish cow ). For the moment, my preference is the Effectrode Tube Drive + Xotic X-Blender because I have already three Effectrode pedals in my pedalboard and I love them VERY,VERY much ( Compressor PC-2A, Phase-O-Matic Deluxe, and Delta-Trem ), and also because I will be able easily to change the tubes.
    Can you give me your opinion about this subject, please ? Thanks,

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't see how you could go wrong with any of those. Personally I'd go with one of the ones you can count on not having to use a blender with, but that's my own personal preference. Also be advised, in case you're not already aware, you may or may not have to turn the horn in your cab off to get the best results if you start adding some drive via a pedal.

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    I`ve been using my valvedrive for over a year now - without any problems. Build quality is great, and it sounds really good.

4. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Any reasons for any of those in particular?

Anyway, just to chip in my own personal experience, I haven't tried those but I tried several other tube overdrives. The best one I've used was a clone of the Matchless Hotbox... but it weighed practically as much as an amp head. But in the end I just gave up using any of them simply because of their bulk and power requirements. Now I'm using Zvex pedals, which are tiny and have low current draw and sound nearly as good. I've seen lots of other people on this forum talk about how they use the Sansamp series to get authentic "tube" sound... so you might want to consider not using tubes, they're horribly inconvenient for what (to me at least) isn't worth the extra weight and bulk.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  6. tube screamer?

7. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
    I want a real tube overdrive because they are more musical to my ears ( the size, the weigth, and the power requirements of this pedal are not a problem for me ), and I would like to add a second crunch / overdrive channel for my Alessandro Basset Hound. If I compare my T.C Electronic vintage tremolo and phaser XII versus the great Effectrode Stuff, this one blown away the T.C stuff.

8. They lose a little bit of the B string lows IME, and the tone circuit is aimed at guitar, so boosting the lows only helps to boost the bass guitar mids.....
    Good Unit, but there is better out there.

Have you seen the DHA gear?
    I used to own a DHA VT1-bassdrive, which is single channel, but he also offers a two channel version.
    And he's pretty close to you in France, you might even be able to drive under the wattery bit and pick one up?

9. EHX English Muffin

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I understand the situation--you want champagne, not vin de table. :)

I love the Effectrode pedals as well... and the owner of Effectrode is a nice man, very easy to talk to... so I recommend you email him and explain your situation, and ask if he can modify one of his overdrives for bass. It should not be too difficult or expensive of a modification.

Otherwise, I recommend DHA, those are great-sounding products. And the Swell pedals are worth looking at--I haven't tried them myself to recommend, but everything I have read about them suggests champagne quality.

11. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
    Thank you for all your answers.
    I add the DHA VT-1 Bassdrive on my top list because it seems to correspond to the fact that I look for : Just a light warm overdrive which loses not the low frequencies. Thus I would have no Blend pedal to be bought. Is it silent and reliable ?
    The website of DHA is under construction. Do you know another website where I could buy the VT-1 ?

12. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    +1. Check out the American site: http://www.davehallampsusa.com/.

13. kepallino_hh

kepallino_hh

Jul 11, 2010
    Hi
    I owe a Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor.

Just awsome and warm on my bass.

Depending on whether you play with an active or passive bass, or whether you position it in an "series" or "parallel" effects chain, you can get a crunchy sound with the clean channel just by cranking the valve.

The 2nd channel ist sometimes (my humble opinion) way too much for a bass.

Cheers,
    Sergio

14. +1

15. try ebay UK - dave lists alot of his pedals through there, he's got some up at the moment :D

16. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
    Sorry, I had not specified that it was about the VT-1 MK3.
    Bongomania, you perfectly summarized my envy : I want some Champagne of the best vintage wine. phil Taylor ( Effectrode owner's ) agrees and enthusiast to modify one Tube-Drive for bass, but the delivery deadlines risk of being long because he also works on the elaboration of new pedals ( delay, fuzz, acoustic pre-amp )

17. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    If you get that Effectrode modded for bass please report on how you like it, I dig that Effectrode stuff!

I'm really interested in their Tube Vibe, have you tried that?

18. Psybass

Psybass

Mar 15, 2010
    I have the valvedrive for 2 years now and never had any issues with it....I think it sounds very good as well as a standalone drive and also in a blend. It is indeed build in China and sold for boutique price, but the build quality is very good IMO...

I never compared the valvedrive to other tubedrives though, can't help you with that....

Hopefully this is helpfull for you...

19. i too have a ValveDrive and never ever have had any problems with it. EBS customer service is top notch too i live in the US and they always answer my emails with any questions i have.