Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please HELP me to find this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 14, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been looking for years to get one of these and i was out bid on one on ebay:( . If anyone knows were i could find one of these i would really be greatfull. I know their are similar violin basses but what you see in the pics is what i want. Thanks

2. MAJOR METAL

3. I am looking for one right now. There is also an EKO violin bass but they look like this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. MAJOR METAL

I have seen alot of eko basses on ebay

5. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Major - I used to have one of these basses. Mine had a pickgard that said APOLLO on it. It sounded pretty good, for what it was however, the tailpiece started to pull away from the body and rendered it pretty much unplayable. I've seen the Stone Temple Pilots' bassist using one of these basses on SNL. Good luck in your search!

6. Was APOLLO the brand name?

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey Major, I was going to bid on that same bass. I'm positive that it's an Aria, but I don't know the model number. I've been looking on eBay for about a year, trying to find an all black Univox 'Lectra bass. I really like the scroll headstock. Anyway I saw this one and changed my mind. I love the way it looks. It's got the scroll headstock and a way better color and quality! I think this one went for about $325 or so (I paid $125 for the Univox version in '72 - wish I still had it now!) and I was going to bid $450 but I changed my mind at the last minute and didn't bid. I'm trying to get the money together for a Mesa Scout. Anyway, sweet bass. It may be awhile before we see one like that again on eBay. :p

8. MAJOR METAL

That bass went for $360 i just missed it by $5

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From what you've shown, you don't seem to care if it's a Hofner/Eko/Univox/Electra/or even a rare 50's Gibson. Many were built in Japan under various names.

Hofner and Eko were definitely a notch above the others.

10. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm guessing that it was(?) There was no other name on it.

11. MAJOR METAL

Suggestions as where to look for the bass i want other then ebay

12. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Couldn't hurt to poke around at Subway Guitars. They specialize in instruments like the one mentioned:

www.fatdawg.com

13. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I have a 1970's Sears Roebuck and Co. violin bass with a scroll on the headstock. I didn't know that there were others that incorporated the scroll onto the bass guitar headstock. Neat thread!

14. Hey Major-

If you can find out the name/model, try a Google search. I did that looking for info on some basses and almost always turned up a store or individual selling the bass I wanted info on. Most of the basses I did searches for were oddball 1970's jazz copies, so you can imagine these weren't run of the mill basses that are all over the net.

Goodluck searching- hope this helps.

Bob

15. I did a google search and without the model name and # I came up with mostly Hofners!

I have a Kent Violin bass, same head scroll but more like a hofner knock off!

Does anyone know the model?

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. MAJOR METAL

It is amazing how many variations of the violin bass they are, names that hat i have seen attached to the bass i want have been Univox,Apollo,orlando. I am sure someone knows a place i could check

17. I found this one at.........http://www.univox.org/guitars/lectra.html

Univox 'lectra
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Major Metal...I don't know of one right now, but I often bump into interesting stuff...what's your price range?

19. This one is close too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena