Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me with 70's Jazz measurements

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, May 17, 2005.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I need to route some pickup holes and put in a new Kahler bridge by tomorrow, so I need to know exact measures of 1970's Fender Jazz Bass pickup placement. For those who own original or reissue 1970 /75 Fender Jazz bass please take a look at my sketch and provide exact measures for the following:

http://tinypic.com/552ezd

1) From the end of the nut which is closer to the 1 fret to the beginning of a neck pup (the flat area, not the screws circles)

2) From end of the neck pup to the beginning of the bridge pup.

3) From the end of the bridge pup to the G string saddle (not the bridge beginning)

4) From the end of the bridge pup to the E string saddle.

Actually lets do a small poll and see if we find any differences in our comparison.

Cheers

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a genuine '72 Jazz at my house right now (NOT a reissue, the real thing), will that do, or were you lookin' for the 75 (dunno if it's diff)?

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I think so, well I'm looking for any year model where they moved the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. So my guess is it's from 1970 - 79, including any reissues for those years. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong with my guess.

Cheers

P.S. If yours is Ash / Maple then it's the one I need for sure.

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Just noticed you pictured what looks like the Geddy Lee J. I have one of those, too. I'll measure both as best I can and return info. I'm just gonna' use a tape measure, so they won't exactly be super precise, but I'll do my best. It's the only measuring device I have that long.

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I just used that picture for the sketch. But please post your measures as well. They have to be very precise.

Cheers

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Both the real '72 as well as the Geddy measured the same, which should be expected.

1.) 27.5 (maybe 7/16, but the spec is prolly 27.5)
    2.) 3 5/16 (spec is prolly 3/8)
    3.) 1 7/8
    4.) 2

Hope this helps.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Thanks.