Please Help Me with a bass decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickalan620, May 19, 2005.

1. Here is my situation. I have been playing bass for about a year and a couple months. I curently own a 4-string precision bass that i like a lot. For last couple of months I have been getting into a lot metalish and progressive type music (Dream Theater, Queensryche[sp], etc.) and I was thinking about getting a 5-string bass.

Then I foud a great deal on a Peavey Fury 6 and I thought to myself, why not go all the way and get a 6-string. The Peavey is preety cheap so I would still have my 4 string bass.

I know I have not been playing that long but the peavey would not be a huge investment (its actually pretty cheap). I know I would end up using the 6 strings and they would not go to waste.

The only problem is I cant see the bass in person. I heard that the Peavey Fury 5's and 6's have sub-standard B-strings. How bad are they really. If i got the bass i would string through the body with DR low riders SS (30-135) if that makes a difference. Do you think the B-string is bad enought to not warrant a purchase. Thoughts
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    For the price, I think the Fury basses are awesome. They look, feel, and sound like more expensive instruments and have versatile electronics. The one I played in a store (a Fury 6) had a decent low B for the price. You ain't gonna get a Sadowsky or Dingwall caliber low B in a $400 bass. But all the Fury'd need is a good professional setup and the B will improve.

Great bass, the Fury 6.

Another good budget 6er is the Ibanez SR506. The low B was pretty solid on the specimen I played and the tone was nice and warm.
  3. Dude I have never liked Peavey stuff.I have been in your predicament before and sold cool gear just to buy a six string so I can play along with John Myung and regretted selling my lesser stringed buddy.
    Why not wait a bit longer, save a few pennies and wait for the older John Myung Yamaha RBX6JM to come up on Ebay.
    They usually go for around $600 US and I can vouch for them as I have owned 1 in cherry red.35" scale, ebony board, well balanced or Cort's Artisan neck throughs are just as good for the money in my opinion.B isnt quite as good but you have the Bart pickups and preamp + neck thru that give them the tone of Growly God(dont ask me to explain "Growly God!").
    In the end also remember that playing along with your idols is great fun but you are not them.Dont Just buy an instrument to be like them, be yourself!
    Theres my 2 cents worth!
  4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    My local music shop has one of these in right now. I think they are a great deal in the price range. I think they are a blast to play, and the string spacing and neck feel were great for me. The B on the on I played felt just fine. If you want an inexpensive six to experiment with, I'd say this is a good choice.
  5. Just to let you guys know, I am not buying a six-string to be like john myung (although i di like him a lot), i am buying for my own music. Thanks for the help. I will probably end up getting it and I will call it my stater six string. thanks guys. :p
  6. there's no point in shelling out top cash for an instrument you're not even sure you will truly like. Get a cheapo, build up your chops, then bust out the big moolah later.
    I've been a 4-stringer forever, but have been looking into 5s lately. I tried a Peavey millenium and was pretty impressed by the feel. There was a traben phoenix that had a really tight b string as well.
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think you're preaching to the choir, scourge, since that's exactly what nickalan's doing. He's getting an inexpensive (but still good) ERB to shed on and see if it's for him or not. Peavey Fury basses aren't expensive. I've seen them for less than $400 new in stores and they can't be beat for that price. The electronics are outstanding for the coin. I almost got a Peavey Fury 6, but I liked the neck on the Samick Fairlane better.

I definitely encourage trying out an ERB for a few months to a year to see if it really is for you. While I am a born-again 4-stringer these days, I was a 5-6 string guy for years.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Fury is a very decent 6 stringer for the price. The B is average for a low priced 34" bass, and the electronics are way above average.
  9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN