1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Help me with my Signal Chain!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baird6869, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Hey TBers!

I have been struggling with my signal chain for a few months.

Basically I need a clean sound most of the time with Chorus and also need my MXR Auto-Q and Bass Balls on at once from time to time and less frequently I need both of those AND a Boss Bass Synth added. Instead of trying to stomp on 3 pedals simultanously, I figured I would split the signal and activate my "effects channel" with and A/B switch.

Any thoughts? It seems to work well and sound good.

For Clean:
    Bass-> Wah pedal -> MXR EQ-> Splitter Cable -> Boss Chorus-> B (on A/B box)-> Vol Pedal -->Amp

For effected:
    MXR EQ via Splitter Cable..... -> Synth-> Balls-> Auto-Q-> Pre-> A (on A/B) to vol to amp

P.S. The Wah pedal is rarely used and it just happens to give me the easiest accessible "instrument in" on my board.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm lost. Why not just use an ordinary loop pedal to do this?

3. Baird6869

I am lost too. My gui**** came up with this confusion. It does work in any case.

How would a loop pedal help me activate the 3 pedals at once?

Basically all I am doing is splitting the signal after the chorus and EQ so I an A/B the Auto-Q, Bass Balls and Synth.

Excuse my ignorance but I usually just plug the effects together and step on them when I want to use them. I never really gave effects much thought.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    How would a bypass loop pedal help? Easy.

Loop Send => Synth => BassBalls => Auto Q => Loop Return

Turn all three effects ON, but keep the loop off. That keeps all three out of the chain.

Then, when you want all three to come in simultaneously, turn the loop ON.

Instantly bring in an army of effects with a single stomp. :)

Bear in mind, this is NOT a recording loop pedal (a.k.a., looper) like the Digitech JamMan, etc. - that's something else.

You can get a single true-bypass loop pedal from companies like Loop-Master for under $50.00 shipped. ;)

5. or build one yourself, even!

Attached Files:

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Looper/Switchers, like Mr. MysticBoo mentioned, are designed to do exactly what you're trying to do, whereas AB/Y boxes are geared more toward 2 instruments/1 amp, or vice versa. I think the loopers are not only true bypass, but generally cleaner sounding when the fx in the loop are on, or off. I use a Lehle single loop pedal, and it's absolutely invisable, soundwise. My Morley AB/Y has a difference between the A and B in the same reguard. Just another thought.

7. Baird6869

Thanks guys! The loop pedal will likely cost less than a bunch of the George L's cables I would have to buy to doo what I need to do.