Please Help me with this decision.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groove Tools, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Right now I have a GT7 and I love it but 7 is sometimes is useless for my style but 6 would be perfect!! so since conklin doesnt have 6ers I'm thinking on buying a warwick or something else that will have a very good quality and good for tapping and fingerstyle. please give me your opinions on what bass to buy. I have around $1800 to spend on it. thanks.
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    My vote goes to a thumb 6 b/o. Just be sure to test as many as possible as the feel, tone, set up on each can vary often in the store level. mMMMMMMmmmMmm the sound of WOOOODD is mmmm gooood.
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    If you went Warwick, the Thumb BO would sound awesome, but its weight will be a problem, especially if you're used to the great balance of the GT7 - My Thumb BO 4 hurts my shoulder after a half hour, while I could play the GT7 I had for at least an hour before really noticing. It's the balance toward the head, especially would be worse with a 6er.

That said, Warwick is a great choice for SOUND, so check out, perhaps, their other models. Corvettes come in 6 =0)

I'm getting rid of my Thumb fretless in favor of a Corvette for the weight distribution, even tho the corvette weighs more.
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    For tapping and fingerstyle the choice for me is definately Zon. Zons are amazing and you can usually get a used 6 for around, if not less than 1800. Trust me line up ANY Warwick to a Zon and you may be impressed. I had a corvette and it was no comparison to the Zon. Also you may consider a used F bass, Roscoe, Modulus, or Yamaha. Of all the sixes I have played those have been the best and are all in your range.

Check out as many of those as possible because they totally kill a warwick IMHO.
  5. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $1800 will buy most anything you'd want used. Roscoe, Modulus, Zon, Pedulla, MTD, Elrick, F Bass, ect. The list goes on and on. I personaly would reccomend a used elrick, i have a neck-though 6, and it's incredible. A used elrick is one of the best deals around.

Warwick makes a great bass, but you can get better for that kind of money, and it won't be so heavy.

If you can, go to a store and play them all back to back, we can't tell you what to like.
  6. Well to be honest I've tried the thumb and the corvette (i have one) also some pedullas and roscoes and I've like my GT7 a lot better... I'm in love with my GT7!! I dont know I keep looking for a better 6er to replace my GT7 but I havent found it. I'm in the process of changing the preamo for a aguilar obp3 and THC custom ebony with bloodwood top knobs so ill see if i change my opinion and I'll lt you know

thanks everyone for the help I'm really glad I'm a memeber of this forum. Thank everyone for being how you are!!
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    A used Roscoe 6 would be a great axe for tapping, they are beautiful boutique basses and can be set up very low...
    that was the first thing that came to mind when i read your post.. for whatever it's worth!! ;)
  8. I tried the thumb again and I loved it. the sound is amazing different than my GT7 but still amazing and I like the action of it it has a good tension on the strings. good for tapping so ill probably go for that I'll keep you posted
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The tone is different - well what have you expected?
    Hope you will like it! Be sure to keep us posted!
  11. I kinda love it now I have a HUGE Gas and I could get it if i sell my GT-7 for around $600-$800 becuase a friend from GC is helping me out with the price but I still need to sell mine so I posted a thread on my bass on the sell forum so please people take a look at it its an amazing bass.
  12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    OOOOOOOHHH :eek: we have another warwick guy in da hizzous!
    Congrats on your GAS! It's gooood gas aint it?