1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me with what to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrsNinaAllen, Oct 20, 2013.

1. MrsNinaAllen

MrsNinaAllen

Oct 20, 2013
    Hi all
    Ive today joined this forum as I need some expert help please.
    I am purchasing a bass guitar for my husband for Christmas and I have no idea what to get.

This is what he will do with it:
    • Learn to play as a total beginner
    • Play reggae music (only)
    • Play in studio setting to record with Protools (no live performance or band...yet)

What do I need to get for him eg what make of guitar, strings, amp, connection to pro-tools etc? I would be so grateful for any advise. And please Im a total novice so keep that in mind as Im guessing there is a lot of "bass jargon and lingo" that I wont be familiar with.

Kindest regards
    Nina

2. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    That's a lovely thing to do for him. A little more info might help.

Where are you, does he currently play anything at all, and what's your budget?

3. conebone

conebone Anime is rad.

Sep 20, 2013
    New Jersey
    This is really nice, I'm sure he's gonna love this.

Alright, as far as my knowledge of reggae goes, you should probably go with a Fender Jazz Bass. They have a classic sound, and if he is a beginner, this is a quality bass for him to help develop his sound. Maybe try out the Fender Jazz Bass MIJ.

Just as a side note, there are always a few of these floating around in the Classified page of Talk Bass, so if you wanted to get one here, you could do that as well, just another option.

For what you're talking about, I'm not sure whether to recommend flat wound strings or not because I don't play reggae. Also, I'm not sure if starting him out on flat wounds are a good idea. If anything, you could just start with normal Fender strings, and switch him to flat wounds later on.

As for the amp, how big/how powerful are you thinking of getting for him? What will he use his amp for specifically? Some more specifics could help for this part.

I believe this was mentioned above, but what is your budget for all of this? That would definitely help with some of my recommendations.

Hope this helps any way it can.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Nice wife.

The budget is going to be the biggest factor in what your options are. Also, what kind of Reggae is he playing?

5. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    I'd suggest a p-j fender bass. That 'll cover most sounds.
    Strings: di'addario half rounds or nickel rounds.
    Amp wise, get something powerful if he's gonna gig. For reggae he'll need lots of low end and clean headroom.
    If he's just going to record a high end direct box like a reddi or something for modeling like a bass pod would be good. Get good monitors or headphones though.

6. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    In order of budget, low to high, either Jazz or Precision styles:
    Squire Vintage Modified
    Fender standard (made in Mexico)
    Fender American standard.

Avoid squire affinity. And cheap Soundgear (Ibanez) or Yamaha.

7. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    YES. But. An Ibanez ATK might be good...

8. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fender Squire Vintage Modified Jazz bass. A set of flatwound strings. LaBella or GHS would be a good choice for this style. He may want to upgrade the pickups at some point depending on his recording needs.

Does he currently have a protools setup? Protools is not something most home hobbiest pick for thier DAW. That is why I ask.

9. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    For about $300 , you can find a used mexican Precision bass w/rosewood fretboard that looks close to new on c/l or ebay. A pro setup ($50) done with flatwound strings installed ($30-50) would be golden for him.

For an amp, I'd find him a TC Electronic BG250 ($399). Or some sort of bass amp combo w/ a 15" speaker. 15" speakers make it easy to get a great reggae sound, in my opinion.

Right now, he needs to learn bass, so I don't see recording coming for awhile , no ?