Please help me with your feedback, I'm in a dilemma.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, May 27, 2003.

Which combo do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2003.
  1. Mahoganoy w quilted maple top

11 vote(s)
  2. mahoganoy w bubinga top

10 vote(s)
  1. I'm 2 steps away from buying a new bass, but the dilemma I reached really sucks.
    I can get the bass in one of two ways:
    mahoganoy w\ quilted maple top
    mahoganoy w\ bubinga top

both are rather beautiful, but sound-wise, which do you think would work better?

I can't have both (which I really would love), and yet both are beautiful.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm not sure you are gonna see a huge difference between the two if the only thing that is different is the top. Sure there will be *some* difference but even basses with the exact same specs can and will sound different. Just pick based on what you like best looks wise IMO...
  3. lol, do the specs really matter?
    I'm just asking which of the two wood combos you'd prefer, but if you want the specs, it's got 2 emg humbuckers, 2 piece bridge, neckthru construction, and a 35' inch scale.

I hope that helps you with helping me? lol.
  4. lol...Jared, that's the other problem. Both of them are so beautiful, the red is like many shades of red, like crimson, ruby-red and bright red.

and the bubinga, well the grain itself is something to drool over.
  5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can you post pics or links? I will give you my personal opinion. ;)
  6. that's what brutally sucks, I only have the catalogue pics and can't find 'em online, it's bugging me!

anyways, the bubinga top has that warwicky beauty in the grain, but with the neckthru design cutting down the middle, it kinda looks like a woody oreo.

as for the red, it's basically a potpourri of red, but it looks really beautiful.

but it's such torture trying to pick from one of them.
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well nice bubinga can be quite beautiful. So is it a red stained quilted maple top then? That's what you make it sound like. I personally like the look of a natural wood myself...
  8. Doesn't sounds like a dilemma to me. You have a new bass on the way that will probably sound awesome no matter which way you go. I'd love to have this type of dilemma...:)
  9. thanks Kraig I know what you're saying, it's just that both of these finishes are so beautiful that I can't even decide. But I did a little thinking. I don't have a red bass in my collection(just a candy apple red fat strat,I don't think it can count) nor do I have an oil finished/raw bass.

I plan on getting a warwick eventually, but not extremely far into the future, and I think that'll be my baby with the woody finish( I get sticky looking at how some of them come out)

and this red, I've never seen it on anything but the PRS guitars. I gotta give myself another day to decide, but one of my friends even said that the red is a beauty and definitely gonna have a statement.

but it's still hard deciding!!! LMAO!

but thanks guys for some ideas and help.
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I like maple tops much more than bubinga tops, but of course it's a question of very personal taste...

All the best,
  11. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't like dyed tops.
  12. So when I'm ordering the bass, I was still not able to make my mind up so asked the guy to pick which picked the bubinga topped one. I'm very happy either way.
  13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

The only way to make an accurate choice is with the only tried and true method. Ask the Magic 8 Ball!!! It solves all of life's difficult dilemas.

Good luck either way!
  14. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I would have gone with the Bubinga anyway.

You'll be happy.
  15. hahahaha thanks guys. If I had that Magic 8 ball I think I would've done that, at the time I was looking for a coin to flip for it, and I just asked the guy cuz I couldn't find one.

pretty funny, but either way I end up with a beautiful bass.
  16. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What kind of bass is it??? or did you say it and I'm too lazy to search??;)
  17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Pictures??!! Hello Mc Fly!! Are you in there??!!