Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChuckMulholland, Jun 14, 2002.

1. ChuckMulholland

ChuckMulholland

Jun 14, 2002
    I am not a fellow bass player, but i do need help for mine. he's pretty stubborn as far as getting help w/ anythign goes so im getting the help for him. i play guitar in a funk/jazz/rock/reggae band. Our bass player is heavily Flea inspired and wants somethign similar to his(fleas) tone. Now i dont know much about bass amps so bear w/ me here, but hes kinda clueless as far as eq'ing goes so im helping him w/ that, the main problem is that when he slaps is far more trebley then when he isnt( i could be stating the obvious, but again i dont know much about bass amps), and its hard to get a good tone for both (help the slapping, the normal suffers). He has a fender bassman 400 amp. hwo should i help him eq for flea like tone? just a general idea, specifics arent needed (like scoop mids, boost bass, etc.). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    To my reasonably-seasoned ears, there is nothing magic about Flea's tone. The EQ sounds pretty flat. The tone is the product of his bass, his rig and him. He has a nice rig, and he is a VERY good player. That's why he sounds like he does.

It's fat, meaty and nice and slick on top. Everything's there in nice proportion. I doubt there is much EQ at all. Certainly nothing drastic.

Flea has a signature model Modulus bass, but I know that he uses a variety of other instruments when recording. Alembic, EBMM are some.

He is still sponsored by Mesa Boogie, but I am not sure that he uses Mesa only for recording.

If the player is getting a really piercing slap tone, it is usually because of technique. You can get that if you slap too hard and don't get off the string fast enough.

If the player is an aggressive slapper, a good compressor/limiter will do wonders to smooth out the tone.

I have used a bassman 400 before. You should be able to get a decent tone out of it if the player is putting one into it.

Sorry for not being more helpful, but I don't think you are looking in the right place to solve your problem.

Chas