Please help me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by streamerstii, Aug 27, 2003.

1. It's becoming the end of the summer, i've made my money and now its time to spend it. Its between a new amp and a bass PODxt. If i went for an amp i would buy a tech 21 RBI, QSC RMX850 and avatar 2x10 + 1x15 cabinets or the bass podxt with a floorboard foot controller running into my ampeg combo (which is a horrible excuse for an amp). I have a schecter studio 6 string bass and i play alternative/ jazz/ pop/ latin/ funk styles of music. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -Ryan :bassist:
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Get the RBI. Running a Pod through your crappy amp isn't going to help you much. Besides, Pods have a bit of latency delay in the notes you hit, it will drive you nuts eventually using it live.

IMO, don't simulate a tone, GET your tone.
  3. I'll follow EM and say go with the pre/power set-up. You can always add stuff to it later. The only suggestion I would give you is to go with a larger amp (such as the 1450 or higher). You can never really have too much clean power on hand.:D
  4. retro33

May 20, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I just went through the last two months putting together a new rig after my old one died.

I ended up getting a sansamp rbi, yorkville AP2020 (WoW!, what a great power amp, would have gone with qsc also but this was easier to get here where I am in Canada), and an avatar b210 and b115. (plus a korg tuner to fill that last rack space... heh)

I play a spector 5 string in a hard rock band which plays small to medium size venues. I plan on using the 210 for smaller shows and both cabs for larger ones. Will also use both to compete with the volume crazed guitarists and drummer during practice. After my turn-down campaign failed I felt this was an appropriate response. ;)

After doing alot(!) of research I found for my price range and application it was a great setup. You may be in a bit of a different situation but from my own point of view this setup is great!

Good luck.
  5. thanks everyone who replied, but i was wondering a few things about the RBI, will i be able to get a tone out of it that is close to the aguilar DB 750 head? I know that i can get ampeg and fender type sounds but what about aguilar.
    -Ryan :bassist: