Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help, my horn is hissing!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, May 4, 2002.

1. I have an SWR Goliath III Jnr, and the horn is hissing, not really loudly, but loud enough that I notice it when I stop playing.

I have had the cab for about 5 months, running it through an old Peavey head. The Peavey sucked, so I am borrowing an Eden WT-400 for the weekend, and possibly buying it if I like it. The hissing was always there with the old Peavey, but it was way quieter than when I use the Eden. If I move the lead around a bit, the hissing seems to kinda go louder or quieter, and if I turn down the horn attenuator the hissing dies as well. If I turn up the master volume on the Eden, then the hissing gets louder. If I turn down the volume on the bass, the hissing doesn't change.

Has anyone had this problem before? I'm new to using a quality head, and I know the previous owner pretty well and I trust him. I'm yet to talk to him about the hissing, but he told me when I picked up the Eden that he has never had any problems with it, and is only selling it because he is getting a much more powerful head. Could the horn in my Cab be stuffed? Any help that you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanx.

2. i wouldn't worry about it. it all comes down to what you can hear over the cymbals, hiss won't matter when playing live.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the problem isn't with your horn... it's in the amp chain.... you're probably picking up radio noise w/ your cable.. or amp noise is coming from somewhere. I agree w/ DHC... nobody will ever notice that in a live situation, which is what that cab was made for.

4. I thought that maybe I need better quality leads? The one I have at the moment doesn't really scream quality. I read in the Eden manual that they recommend using high quality shielded cables, otherwise unwanted noise might be picked up. I wasn't sure if that was the problem I was having or not. I guess it probably is.

Thanx for you help guys. If you have any more help/suggestions/whatever, I'm all ears :D

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe its cuz you have the highs turned up too much.

Alot of times thats the problem.

Peace
    Nick

6. I tend to have the highs boosted just a little on the bass, and then either flat or just a little on the Eden.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It appears to be normal....for Eden into the Goliath III that is.

I had an Eden 800 that did it. Now I have a Eden 600 that does it. If I use the same speaker as an extension cab off my WM15, it doesn't hiss. If I use my crappy Crate B200XL it doesn't his. I can only assume it's inherent to Eden gear since both Eden amps I've had do it and I've tried other amps into the same Goliath and don't get it. I figure it's a small price to pay for the sound that comes when you hit a string.

The wierd thing is they do it even with the Gain and Master all the way down...?!?!

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably bad shielding then.

If nothing else check for shorts in the crossover.(or get someone else 2)

Peace
    Nick

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    are you using a passive bass? usually, my friend's sting bass puts out alot of hiss when running into my Aguilar GS112. also, i left it on my settings which has a lot of highs dialed in. with my active Roscoe, not much hiss, but with his passive bass, sounds like the room's filled with snakes.

but like nick said, the hiss in the tweeter is usually due to high'ed EQ. But also check the back of your cab for the tweeter control knob. lowering it, will cut out alot of the higher highs that cause the hiss.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Eden amps have better high end response than the Crate and Peavey heads, so they reproduce any hiss in the signal chain better. The tweeter is just reproducing what the amp is feeding it.

To see how much hiss is coming from the bass and cord, DISCONNECT the cord and see how much hiss you hear. Eden amps have grounding inputs, that is if you have no cord plugged in the input is grounded. That's as quiet as the amp will ever get :D Any additional hiss you hear is noise coming down the cable being amplified.

Like it to not, hiss from a tweeter is normal. It's impossible for us to tell without hearing your amp if your hiss level is above average. Bottom line is if you really hate hiss, turn off the tweeter.

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Open up the speaker cab, cut the wires that lead to the horn... they are totally unnecessary on a bass cab anyways. :D

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On the Eden head, turn the semi-parameteric treble gain to about 9 o'clock, with the pre-and master gains at playing volume. Then adjust the treble frequency knob (probably up around 6K to 8K) until the hiss goes away. Now you've found the frequency of the hiss. Leave the frequency knob there, and increase the treble gain until the hiss just starts to come back. There.

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Hiss back at it, dont take that crap from any amp.

Mike

14. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    :p :p :p