Please HELP my loud drummer!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 10, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, my drummer totally rocks. I couldn't wish for a better rhythm partner. Only thing is, he's loud as h*ll. He came up in the early 70's competing with Hiwatt's and Marshall stacks. He's like Billy Cobham, totally loves to beat on the drums, and he's very good at it. But lately we've been called on to play some venues that call for a little more decorum. Something a little quieter perhaps. I wanna help him tone down, he's having a hard time doing it 'cause it cramps his style (and his style is great, wouldn't want to tell him to go start playing wimpy jazz stuff). We've tried all the usual solutions (ringers, etc), most of it changes the sound and makes the drums sound dull and lifeless (thud). The question is, are there any sticks that will result in a quieter but natural sounding beat? I figure what with all the marvelous advances in technology in the last twenty or thirty years, there ought to be something that'll work. Anyone have any experience with this?
  2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Wow, I just responded to a thread kinda like this.

Maybe lighter gauge sticks like 7As, but if he's already playing a 7A it won't be of much help.

You could try brushes, but it's a different game. It will definitely mess with his technique. You could try Blastix or Hot Rods. They will bring down the volume a little, and feel more like a regular drum stick.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Straws? :p

Yea, stick gauge is the main thing that i can think of that wont make the drums sound like ****.. Not that much you can do that wont mess with his technique. It might come down to him having to learn to play a little quieter and dealing with the consequences. Itll help him in the end to be able to play at different volumes; itll give his playing a little more depth.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    He will hate this but you could always take some papertowel and fold it over several times then duct tape it to the underside of his top heads. Depending on how much papertowel you use it will muffle the sound and still produce a good tone, I have done this before. He may have to retune his drums a bit but it will fix the problem for the smaller gigs.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well duh he'll have to retune it. You kinda have to remove the head to put the paper towel under it.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nice avatar Josh. I know that man from somewhere... (And no, I wasn't the kid in the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt) :):):)
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is hard to explain. I once saw a drummer using these wierd looking sticks that seemed to have a little bit of a bendy join in the middle. The sticks were still solid looking and didn't flap around or anything, but they appeared to give a bit on contact. I assumed they were designed to absorb some of the impact and reduce volume but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone else have any info on these?
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Ummmmmmmm, some drummers do not use bottom heads. I was talking about if he decides to use this method it will change the tone of the drum so one would have to retune it in order to get it close to the drums natural note.
  9. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I'll add a vote to trying the hotrods, guys at school use em and seem to like em.
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wussy Jazz crap?

how could you say that?

anyways, I would go with Brushes or Hot rods. But if he cant handle playing softly that is a problem. I say he practice playing different styles of music... JAZZ (it is helpful) Punk, Funk, Blues, Rock... prolly not metal, Sounds like he has That down...

Ohh, Play softer songs too (as a group)