Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please help my pinky behave...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by fleafan, Oct 15, 2000.

1. how could i get my pinky to stay close to the fret board instead of hiding back and then jumping forward when needed? (i need more speed and its slowing me down)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    It is great that you noticed it. I've posted this answer before and should just forward you there, but of course, I cannot remember where I posted it. So, here it goes.

1) Get your bass set up, so that you can use as soft a touch as possible. Try as little relief in the neck as possible

2) Work on a soft touch. When you play "hard" you use a tighten up the muscles of your forearm, wrist and fingers. When you release the note, that energy has to go somewhere. It is analagous to strteching a rubber band and then releasing it. There is too much stored up (potential) energy in your hands. In order to keep the pinky "quiet" you need to put less energy into it.

Try this, let me know how it goes.

Mike

3. AHHA

AHHA

Oct 16, 2000
    Yes I remember seeing that same response, Intermediate Lessons, posted 10/6/00 0809 pm. Mike,thanks for all your advice I have consumed over the years......It is appretiated. Best of luck. John