Please, help - name some latin "standards"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lenko, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Hi guys;
    I have to make a song list (20 songs or so) for our band that consists of guitarist, 2 flutes, perccusionit (sometimes) and me. The songs must be latin (like some Gilberto Gil's or Milton Nascimento's stuff). Which songs would you recommend?
  2. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Hm...well first of all you should get Israel "Cachao" Lopez stuff.He's was Jaco's favorite bass player.He kinda created mambo of the 30's,40's & the 50's.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

We need to define here what is meant by "Latin." Milton Nascimento and Gilberto Gil are Brazilian. Cachao is Cuban. Then, of course, there are many great "Latino" performers from Santo Domingo, Nicaragua, Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Argentina, Puerto Rico, etc.

If you mean Brazilian standards, I would suggest the bossa nova of Laurindo Almeida, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Joao and Astrud Gilberto and the Jobim collaborations with Stan Getz.

Some bossa nova standards include "Girl from Ipanema", "Silent Nights of Silent Stars", How Insensitive", "Manha de Carnival", Berimbau", Chove Chuva", "So Danco Samba", "Mas Que Nada". There are many more. If you can find the soundtrack to "Black Orfeus" you will have many bossa classics. Also seek out the CD in which Stan Getz and Jobim play. "I think it is called "Jazz Samba." Every song there is a standard and wonderfully played.

There are many Afro-Cuban standards. Just for starters I would suggest checking out the vast works of Cuban songtress, Celia Cruz (RIP) who recently passed away. She has won many Grammies for her work.

Some much older standards can be found in the manbos, cha cha chas and rhumbas of the fifties. Prez Prado was an important band leader of that era. His song "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" is a standard from that time. Also, even though many may think Santana wrote "Oye Como Va", it was actually Tito Puente. You might check some of his lengthy body of work. He is actually the son of Puerto Rican immigrants who lived in New York.

There are other Latino styles...salsa, merenque, soca, etc. Each has its own standards. Then there is Mexico which has several distinct styles of music other than the just Mariachi. There are Norteno, Ranchero, and others.

There are so many "Latin" standards, that it would be very hard to break it down to just a few. Why don't you see if you can choose just one from each style?
  4. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Thanks for a great reply; :) I will have a better lok at all of them and then decide; bassically, I was looking for something like Gil or Nascimento, but I'm gonna check out the others.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Here's an easy one - Quizás (Perhaps), and you can do it like the Benny Hill skit and make it seem like you're singing "Kiss azz, kiss azz, kiss azz".
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OK, now I get it. Well, Gilberto Gil and Milton Nascimanto, plus another contemporary of theirs, Caetano Veloso, began to make their impact in Brazil when I lived there in the 1960s.

They were leaders of a musical style called Music Popular Brasileira(MPB)or also "tropicalia". Their style is distinct from Bossa Nova and samba and in the 60s, some of their lyrics were politically and socially charged.

One good bet would be to go to and do a search of those three names (Veloso, Gil, and Nascimento.) As you asked for standards, AMG will list all their CDs. Their early music would qualify as standards. But these artists are still active today.

Here's some more that I recall from the period. There were others. Chico Buaraque de Hollanda, Ivan Lins, Edu Lobo, Joao Bosco and the women, Gal Costa, Elis Regina, and Maria Bethania. (These names bring back so many memories. I didn't like all of their music, but I did enjoy much of it.)

Bruce Lindfield's book sounds like a good idea, but remember, these Brazilian artists were not famous for samba or bossa nova. They instead composed and performed creative music that differed from those two styles, but often integrated some bossa nova and samba into their own special music.

Check this for more detailed info: