Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEASE HELP! Ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Feb 27, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Ok, so ive been playin for about 7 years now and have never been into the equipment enough to learn about ohms and wattage..... Now i need to know... Im running an Ampeg 8x10 (8 ohms)..... I need enough power to play decent sized shows.... What is gonna do it for me? What range should i shoot for??? :help:

2. Do you know how many Watts in can handle or at least what model it is?

3. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    It's the classic series ampeg 8x10.... 2x800 watts (8 ohms)

4. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    and what is a "decent sized" show? And also what are other people in your band (guitarist? Keyboard?) using?

An Ampeg 8x10 is goping to get you pretty far, even with just a couple hundred watts.

5. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    The other guitarists are both running out of Marshall half stacks.... Keyboards are through the p.a.... A decent size show would be a couple hundred people..... I really appreciate your help...

6. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    2 Marshalls... ok, the 810 is going to be handy here. one very rough rule of thumb is to shoot for about 4x the power of the guitars... but that's so rough that it's only going to cause disagreements, so use it only as the loosest guide.

You probably can do pretty well with 4-600 watts (solid state). It would be great if you could borrow or rent a couple of amps or heads to try out. After all, there's alot more than just power to consider, especially after you get in the ball park there. TUbe v solid state is another big and maybe first consideration, and power there doesn't really translate/compare so well.

You probably wont need to push the cab to it's max, unless your guitar players are cranking. But it still can be nice to have extra power and headroom in the amp, and much better for the cab than turning an under powered amp to 11.

Do you have a good set of earplugs?

and you're selling an svt350? Is that not enough for you, or just too much to carry? But you're already hauling the fridge....

7. When I used to use my refridgerator rig, I put my mackie 1400i into it at 4ohm bridged, for a total of 1400 watts. I had the 810e (classic) It was massive in sound....and wieght.:)

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    You said the 8x10 is 8ohms?? This is something to consider when you are shopping around for a head. Not a lot of heads put out gobs of power at 8 ohms.

I have never seen a cabinet that is rated as 2x800 watts..would this be like 800 watts for one side of the speakers and the other 800 for the other side? :confused: The classic series Ampeg SVT-8x10E is 4 ohms and it handles 1600 Watts Program and 800 Watts RMS (as per the Ampeg website). Not sure if this is the exact same model you have.

Surely someone can clear this up for me.

9. I remember seeing an ampeg 810 before that was 4 ohm for all cab, or biamp 8ohm x2. I forget what model it was though.

10. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Tube heads put out the same power, regardless of the load that they are attached to. Try a tube head like the 400+ or the SVT CL.

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    True...but not everyone wants a tube head or if they do, they may not be able to afford one. This makes it a bit more difficult to find a solid state/hybrid head that puts out a lot of power at 8 ohms if you are using the 8x10 as a stand alone rig.

12. The Crown Xs Series have some amps that can easily handle such a cab but they can be pricy

13. :cool: I remember reading on here somewhere that the Ampeg 8x10 are actually split in two. It can be run as a mono 4 ohm and a stereo 8 ohm I believe. you can download the owners amnual from the ampeg website to get the scoop. But that is the basic deal.

14. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    The ampeg 8x10e is 4 ohms!?!? I just read somewhere that it is 8 ohms! hmmmm i fall deeper into confusion..... Its the standard classic series 8x10..... The head is an svt-350h, but its not a tube amp.... Its a solid state head in an svt classic wooden cabinet... It puts out 350 watts of solid state at 4 ohms and i think 200 watts at 8 ohms.... I thought my cab was 8 ohms, but if its 4 ohms then im fine.... SOMEONE HELP ME

15. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Well, you're kind of looking at it the wrong way. Regardless of the resistance of your cabinet....

If your current head plays loudly through it, then you have enough power. If it does not, you don't. Don't get hung up on numbers.

16. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    I appreciate that.... I keep being told that its really important to match ohms from the head to the cab..... I dont know... Maybe im just lookin too deep...

17. Well it has to match if you want to get maximum power from your amp, if the cab for example is 8 ohms and the amp normally supports 4 Ohms or less, it just won't sound as loud as it can. The problem would be if your cab is LESS Ohms than the amp, in which case it just won't work (but such a thing is impossible, if you are using one cab).

18. KISSPGAP

KISSPGAP

Feb 28, 2006
    I'm dealing with similar stuff. Check out the thread about OHMS FAQ by IVANMIKE in the AMPS forum