1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE HELP!! Pain on right hand ( picking hand) seems like something like tendonitis

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Apr 20, 2010.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Ok so thank you for reading this thread and helping me out! I got an issue....:(

My right hand hurts when i play, the joint around my index finger and the joint between thumb and index!

I go to college for music on bass, and recently i have been practising for a lot, for my soon to come jury (bass performance test) and jazz combo etc...

Well here's the back story. Friday i had practise with a band i'm filling in for 1 gig, well towards the ed i got a bit of pain. I attributed it to being on a 5 string ( i usually play 4) and really pedalling the lower strings. I moved my hands to where the strings were looser and played the rest of the practise.

Well next day was my bands band practise....1 1/2 songs in my right hand index finger has a sharp pain.....so i take a pick and play that way the rest of practise.

Since then i haven't practised much... as i've been told it could ruin my hands.

Does anybody have any advice.....I don't know where this came from, especially as my right hand is pretty straight, not very perched.

2. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    You need to see a doctor. If it is tendinitis, they can fix that up pretty fast. If it is arthritis, that could be a long term problem. I have had issues with both, but don't draw any conclusions from my stories.

About 12 years ago I developed chronic pain in my right hand. After a couple of months, I went to the doctor and he told me that I had tendinitis. He gave me some Celebrex and sent me on my way. I wasn't on that long enough to help. I discovered that I'm allergic to it, so I went back to the doctor. He said that I needed physical therapy. I told him I didn't want physical therapy, and couldn't we just splint it for a few weeks. No, he said I needed physical therapy, so off I went. For two months they hit me twice a week with steroid cremes, massage, and ultrasound, and every week I asked them to splint my hand, and every week they refused. Needless to say, physical therapy didn't help, and after a solid two months of it, they finally decided that they needed to splint my hand. I wore a splint for two weeks, which forced me to rest my hand, and at the end of the two weeks, the tendinitis was gone and it has never been back. The joke came later when I found out that my insurance didn't cover physical therapy and I was personally on the hook for $1200. How many basses is that, exactly?

Moral of the story: Rest that hand. Cut all nonessential playing. Splint it before you spend 8 weeks in physical therapy.

That's for tendinitis. Arthritis is messier. Overuse, injury or misuse of a joint can cause that, but so can systemic disease. Rest will probably fix the first problem if you're young, but if it is systemic disease, then you'll need medications to deal with the problem, and if you're young and have some variation of serious arthritis, that's bad. You'll need a rheumatologist for that. Those kinds of disorders will often start in one joint and then spread.

Given what you do, I think you've got an overuse problem and with some serious rest, you'll be okay, but you should see a real doctor since I only play one in the bedroom. :D:D:D