Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Help - String Identification

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassaussie, Jan 15, 2002.

1. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Hi,

I've just bought a used Stingray fretless, and it has a set of strings on it that I really like, but I don't know what they are. The guy I bought it from also has no idea, as they were on it when he bought the bass.

First, I apologise for the incredibly vague description, but this is all I know!!

They're black, nylon, and they have a light blue/turquoise coloured cotton wrapping.

That's it! Again, apologies for the description, but I'm hoping that some string guru will recognise the colour of the cotton and associate it to a certain brand.

Cheers, bassaussie.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hmmm,
    Could be Rotosound "Trubass"

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Exactly what I thought! Unfortunately, I just received a reply from Rotosound who tell me that they use yellow cotton on the TruBass strings. But thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate the effort.

Just to add to my description, the strings are VERY flexible, allowing really huge strings bends. Also, they have quite a bright sound, much brighter than any metal flatwounds I've tried in the past, although obviously not as "zing-y" as roundwounds.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I think La Bella also make a similar type of string?

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yeah, I think you're right. Also, I think Fender makes a set as well, so I'm gonna chase those leads up.

Cheers, bassaussie.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Fenders don't have silks.

7. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks, that's another brand I can cross off my list!

Is there any other brands you could suggest that they might be?

8. I have the rotosound nylons (yellow wrapping) on my fretless, and although i can't help u with the make of yours, just wanna say tha i agree on how cool they are, give me the just the tone i want, nice thumpy and mellow, and as i have a maple fingerboard (which are known to be bright) i get the best of both worlds

good luck with your search

*Si*

9. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks Si.

I have to say that, whatever these are, they've really changed the way I look at fretless basses. In the past I've always got quite frustrated with fretless basses, as they never felt "right". But these strings just feel like they were made for fretless. They're certainly much brighter than flatwounds (metal), yet they're so soft to touch (that sounds a bit Freudian, but you know what I mean :D).

Anyway, I'm gonna try some TruBass strings and see what they're like.

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Bassaussie,
    Don't use the Rotosounds! - they are anything but "Soft" to the touch.
    I find them quite uncomfortable to use.
    The nylon wrap seems to be very unforgiving.

11. the rotosounds are great, very easy on the fingers....but i'll give u a warning..DO NOT run your fretting fingers all the way up the string very fast...cos u WILL burn the skin off :)

*Si*