1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

please help this beginner

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hidderhcp, Mar 24, 2013.

1. hidderhcp

hidderhcp

Mar 24, 2013
    Hello i am wondering wich pick up i should use to play rhcp songs cause i have a yamaha rbx 170 with a neck p pick up and a jazz bridge pick up flea usee j and p bass and i am wondering wich one he used for what songs

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'd say do yourself a favor and decide for yourself and listen ;) it will help you decide on appropriate tones for other songs as well.

Flea uses a wide range of tones though, so it's all over the place... Are there any specific songs you have in mind, like which you want to play close to the original?

3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Both....you will find that ALOT of your best tones are combined with both pickups.....BUT the best thing you can do is actually listen to the songs and decide which tones sounds best. I play a PJ and with both pickups on and the best tones are that setting. Have fun and listen to find YOUR sound you like.

4. hidderhcp

hidderhcp

Mar 24, 2013
    Oke thanks i had in mind songs like raindance maggie , snow , dani california

5. Bet thing you can do now as a beginner is to get in the habit of not being afraid to experiment and decide for yourself as the others have said. Play around with your controls, on both bass and amp,and don't be afraid to try different types of strings at different times, eventually you will find a sound you like.
    It's not exactly imperative (unless you make it so) that you sound EXACTLY like Flea, even if you're covering RHCP songs, you can get close, but it'll likely only get "close enough.' Only Flea will ever sound exactly like Flea

6. hidderhcp

hidderhcp

Mar 24, 2013
    Yes i know everyone play different but cause i am new with base pick ups i was wondering if some use only p or j like guitarist with humbuckers and single coil very sorry for my bad english

7. hidderhcp

hidderhcp

Mar 24, 2013
    And i see flea always play with one pick up