PLEASE HELP? Thoughts on Fender Jazz Bass=problem, made in Korea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CSB, Feb 23, 2006.

1. CSB

Feb 23, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I need some opinions on a Fender made in Korea before I buy it. Great Tone.. I like it a lot but being made in Korea makes me nervous. What do you think? Please do not give a bias opinion if you work for another dealer. That counts you out MGOOD. I live in SD as well and stop in Carvin on World trade often. Guitars are nice.... the bass is ok. The tone of the bass is not what I am looking for but the Fender has it. The Korea thing????? Does anyone know if these are good basses? Please help
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Out of curiosity, are you sure this isn't a squire?

I havn't heard too much about MIKs, but maybe thats just me.
  3. I thought Fender built instruments out of America, Japan and Mexico????

You could use the search function on this question, lots of better advice than I am about to give.

Basically, Fender are a company that have been through many manufacturing "era's" : different factories, owning companies etc etc.

They also have produced top end market products and cheaper, more affordable models.

Therefore, the quality of a particular instrument is very hard to define. Some MIA (Made in America) Fenders aren't very good, even with their pricetag. Some of the MIJ (Japan) Fenders are excellent - it all depends on the particular instrument. I would suggest that $625 for a Korean instrument is too expensive.

4. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I know that fender just started making,the Fender Big Block basses in Korea,they are suppose to be good.
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Jazz 24 is Made in Korea.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The more important thing is: Do you like it?
  7. As Minger suggested... it doesn't matter where it was made, it's if you like it.

My Ibanez BTB1206e is made in Korea. Amazing too.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    So is my Agile guitar. And even Made in China isn't all that bad these days - look at the SX's!
  9. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    If my memory serves me, the Jazz 24 is made in Korea, the Big Block in Mexico. (I could be wrong, I reviewed both several months ago...I can't retain that kind of info very long).

If it's the J 24, it's a very well made bass. In fact, Korea in general makes excellent, and affordable instruments. Lakland Skylines, MTD Saratoga and Heir basses, not to mention Dean, and many, many other companies are built in Korea. The quality is excellent. Now, I can't speak to your political feelings. I have a certain knee-jerk reaction to the whole exporting of America issue, but the bottom line is we, the consumers are demanding higher quality at lower prices. So... you either pay the big bucks for American made, or get something built elsewhere.

If it's the quality of the bass you're worried about, don't. If you worry about the plight of the American worker, worry.
  10. I own a Squier MIK set neck Telecaster guitar very nice finish, well built except that they skimped on the fingerboard wood and the hardware. I had a Hohner 6 string neck through bass MIK for a little bit very nice wood and build except for cheap electronics. I currently play a Series 10 Korean made bass - cheap electronics which I have been repairing, cheap bridge too and someone put it on crooked but this bass is one of the earlier Korean made basses. Still the finish, neck and fretwork have held up over the years.

I have also owned a lot of USA made instruments so I do have some basis for comparison. Some of the USA made instruments were better but they also cost more.

Don't know about monetary values but IMO a better made Korean instrument can be an excellent instrument.

"If it's the quality of the bass you're worried about, don't. If you worry about the plight of the American worker, worry."

Of course we all know how much American labor goes into many of the mass produced instruments labeled Made in USA. Some companies are worse than others about this.

The only other question you have to ask yourself is about resale value which is something I'm not sure about.

11. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I just got a Jazz 24 QMT if that's what you're looking at, Slimline, Quilted Maple Top, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Hipshot Tuners, Active Electronics and plays great.
    Plays great. You can't get an American 24.
    You can check my profile, this is by far the least I've spent on a Bass since I started out. I have 7 and don't feel like listing them.
    I'd say if you like it go for it. It's ain't no Squire, and it's the QC and materials that count.
  12. I have a great Brian Moore that is made in Korea (although it's set up in the U.S.) and it's a top notch instrument. I compared it to the U.S. built models and found the two mostly comparable. With that said, it's the last foreign made instrument I'll personally buy - I can no longer get my head around not keeping the work here in the states. But politics are personal, so if you're main concern is quality I say give it a shot - you can always return it!
  13. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The rest of my Basses are all German or Canadian.:bag:
  14. howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    I have a MIK jazzbass, best jazz I have ever owned. Mine is a old one 80 or 81 I think, they made these a short period before they started to make squiers in about 83 I think. So it's quite rare, kind of a pre-squier(and the old squier's are good to). Anyway, I have also had 2 USA jazzbasses(new ones), but I sold them because I came bak to this lovely thing. So my opinion is to buy, or I will(need a backup:cool: ).
  15. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    you would be surprised that korea has unbelievable quality. i have a rira custom made in korea. well, pros told me that it plays and sounds like an alembic. well, i have never played an alembic so i don't know. but, this bass is much better than my american jazz
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I can't speak specifically for that particular product line, but I've played a few MIK basses and guitars that were surprisingly pretty decent... I'd say if it plays nice, sounds good, and is a good deal - go for it, and don't worry about where it's from...

- georgestrings
  18. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have a 80-81 Bullet1 strat that was made in Korea and has some american strat parts on it...bridge and tuners. It out plays most all the american strats i played in the last 10 years...A truely amazing lil guitar. Korea makes good stuff. I have neave owned a Korea made bass. Not to highjack this thread but i found out my new 06 Jazz 5 MIM has a two 3 tone sunburst on it not a brown sunburst the fender co said it is. It is an upgrade (brown sunburst) and 30.00 more on any model....i thought the #T sunburst was an American series only color.
  19. foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
  20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow those are interesting!

Personally I don't like the looks of a figured maple top on an otherwise very traditional Fender like that (or the cheezy looking but excellent sounding/playing fotoflames from the 80s). There never were any flamed maple top traditional Fenders built in California in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s. Just the basic sunbursts in Alder and natural Ashes and such. A pickguardless figured top with a new design like the USA FMTs and the Korean "24" is more appropriate IMO.